5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz you razzamatazz you, 4 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Jazz (Audio CD)
This album is rather splendid. I can't work out whether or not it is one of my favourites, but it really is great.
It opens bizzarly with Mr Mercury wailing 'Abrahim', leading into a fantastic musical fusion of rock and middle-easty stuff. The close harmony vocal chord at the end rounds it all up very nicely.
The next song, Fat Bottomed Girls was one of the singles from this album, and everybody knows it (I assume). It isn't one of the best form this album in my opinion.
Jealousy has to be one of the best. In the typical Mr Mercury style of a little sad, very soothing but optimistic all the same, it makes a good contrast to the heavier songs which surround it.
Bicyle race is another well known song, and is a lot more complicated than a lot of people think. I have the music written out for piano, and the number of ridiculous modulations and bizzarre key changes which occur were enough to put me off playing it straight away (I'm not a particularly proficient pianist).
I have to confess that 'If You Can't Beat 'em'doesn't please me too much. Though I am the first person to accept wierd chord progressions (which queen are so good at stringing together), it seems to me that this is a little messed up for the sake of it. I don't think it deserves its 4:15 slot at all. Not to worry, because there is some good guitar in the middle ad it is surrounded by a lot of good songs anyway.
Let me Entertain You is marvellous. This is definitly a song which pulls off being a bit strange. Its subtle complexity is something that I can't help but appreciate.
Dead on Time isn't quite as good as the song above, but I still find it a great song with a good rock feel.
Mr Deacon's second song of the album, In Only Seven Days, was a bit annoying for me at first. It just sounded a bit boring. After listening through it a few times I concluded that it was fine song, though the story still gets on my nerves a bit.
Dreamer's Ball- this is one of my favourtie May songs ever. Another reviewer said that this track was so wierd that it made him want to throw up. Personally I think he must be mad. Does this light, ballroom dance song not just reflect on the talent of the band. I think it does to an extremity.
Fun It was a song that I though was really rubish at first. It seems almost minimalist with it's thin guitar line and repetative drums. However I soon realised that if Mr Taylor had wanted to he could have filled the song with bass and guitar extraviganzas. He was obviously after something else, and he achived it in my view. The contrast between Taylor's almost hoarse voice and Mercury's much cleaner vocalisation is what I find really great.
Leaving home ain't easy ain't one of my favourites. It's fine, but it's a litte too repetative to me. May's voice is as nice as ever though.
Another popular song, don't stop me now is one I really love. It's intrduction is like a coiled spring, and it certainly does explode by the twentieth bar. The lyrical content I shall steer clear of.
I don't think that More Of That jazz is a good ending to the album. Firstly, it's too similar to Fun It only without Mr Murcury's voice to save the day. Secondly, it seems to be slagging of the whole album which, though I'm sure is very clever and subtle, I find irritating. Finaly, when a little clip of most of the other songs is played at the end, it seems to be telling you that this is a song not worthy of being putting in Jazz at all. Not to worry- you can always just skip the track.
Over all I have given this CD five stars, as no Queen CD to me deserves less.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]