3.0 out of 5 stars Envolving but..., 17 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Rose Of Sebastopol (Paperback)
I really started to like this book having read a few historical novels recently. I was truly envolved in the lives of the Victorian women and the history of the time is plainly and descriptively written. The attention to detail is lovely and the characters are easy to form in the imagination.

The reason i have given this only three stars is that the ending was a bit of a let down and the characters unravelled towards the end leaving me unsatisfied as to a true solution. The added factor of the "Richard and Judy" book club style questions and discussions that are printed at the back of the book only added to my annoyance. But that was probably because I bought it in paperback and it is going to be reviewed by them. Gawd help us all!

Totally involving until you get to the end. And no, tapestry and needlework will not save the world!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Feb 2008 18:08:25 GMT
L. mckay says:
I also agree, the ending was such a let down. It was almost as though the author had a word limit and had to finish very quickly! I also agree with the mad comments in the reading notes section, about sewing saving the world!!!!

Posted on 5 Feb 2008 18:08:32 GMT
L. mckay says:

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2008 22:25:58 GMT
H. Farrell says:
Again, totally agree. I found the book a little difficult to get into, then became completely engrossed only to find the end an utter disappointment and inconclusive. I still keep thinking I haven't finished reading the book!

Posted on 25 Aug 2008 10:16:44 BDT
Lily Rose says:
This book was a bit of a disappointment to me. The scenes in the Crimea were not realistic enough for me. The author seemed to write in fits and starts -promising a complex historical novel and then failing when it became unnecessarily disjointed. The disappointing inconclusive ending also gives me the feeling that I haven't finished the book. Just goes to prove we can't always depend on Richard and Judy's recommendations.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (79 customer reviews)

£7.99 £6.39