5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all the boxes - sooo good., 11 April 2013
This review is from: Red Fox (Experiment in Terror #2) (Kindle Edition)
Red Fox is the 2nd in the 'Experiment in Terror' series by the awesome Karina Halle. It stars Dex and Perry and revolves around their growing friendship and their internet ghost-hunting series. They've been sent to a farm out in New Mexico to try and get to the bottom of some odd goings on.

I've now read up to book 6 in the series, so writing a review about book 2 with the benefit of foresight is a wonderful thing. Also, if you're reading this review and you haven't read all the other books yet then I envy the experience you're about to go on! For me, it's all about the characters, but the story is creepy enough to keep your attention too. Start with 'Darkhouse' if you haven't read the first book yet.

I love Dex and Perry, I really do. They're so deliciously messed up! Perry is developing an attraction for Dex that she doesn't understand or need and really who knows what Dex is thinking or feeling? The books are written from Perry's point of view and I defy anyone not to recognise a bit of Perry in themselves; she's insecure, has low self-esteem, is funny, anxious, sarcastic, hopeful, terrified, warm, open - she's black and white and all shades in between and you can't help but love her. She's wonderful.

The storm that is Dex Foray is a different matter, from reading Perry's POV you get what she knows about Dex and that's all, and that's a jumble of confusion and joy. He's an enigma, wrapped up in a snarky, funny, caring, sexy, confused, bewildered, hot package. He's moved into my top book boyfriends, I feel like Perry with a fangirl crush on him!

We meet some great characters in this book; Maximus who is an old 'friend' of Dex's and Bird who lives and works on the farm. They're both great characters but you don't want to take your eyes off of them for a minute.

Karina Halle writes an amazing story - I am in awe of her really, she's jumped into my top authors and I'm going to go on and read everything else she's done. That's how good she is at this. She's created two of the best characters I've ever read, and I read all the time!

I laughed, I gasped, My heart wrenched and I loved it!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]