5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for money, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Grunwerg Cafe Ole Italian Style Espresso Coffee Maker 9 Cup 360ml - SSICM-09 (Kitchen & Home)
I just bought this pot a week ago, and am very pleased thus far. I will upgrade my review to a 5-star after I've had it a while and seen how it holds up long-term--and once I know I can find replacements for the silicone gasket inside. (Just did this ...see my comments below.) It's been my experience with stovetop espresso pots that these gaskets need replacement fairly often, and without them, the pot is useless. So...until then ...a 4-star review from me...

I think this stainless steel pot is extremely good value for the money. Okay, so it's a thinner construction than more expensive stainless steel pots made by other companies, but it's not what I would call flimsy. In fact, it seems very well designed.

Even when the top is full of coffee the whole thing is well-balanced and easy to hold. The flat bottom is wider than the top, which makes it very well balanced. Unlike some other espresso stovetop models, it would be difficult to tip this one over by accident.

Because it's stainless steel (I believe throughout) it doesn't flavour the coffee in any way. Furthermore, when it's screwed together reasonably firmly, there is NO leakage out of the bottom section when the pressure is on. And to make it even nicer, the spout is shaped so that it's very easy to pour into a small cup without any spillage.

The slip-proof handle remains cool to the touch, as does the knob on the top. It feels sturdy and is attached firmly.

My only slight niggle is the silicone gasket ring. It's good in that it doesn't flavour the coffee like the rubber ones sometimes did, but it's also very slippy, and doesn't hold the flat upper filter in place quite as well as a rubber one would. You need to be very careful before you screw the top and bottom together, that it hasn't slipped out of place. However, I think that's more a feature of silicone than it is of this particular pot, and so far, I've had no real problems with it. The flavour trade-off is worth taking extra care before assembling the pot.

Using the smallest head on my gas hob, this 9-cup pot takes about 4-5 minutes to brew the coffee, going from a cold water start. That's fast.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Aug 2014 12:21:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2014 12:21:49 BDT
jannert says:
I've had this for a month now, and use it every day. I really like it. It's easier to handle than my other one was.

However, I was unable to find any of the rubber/silicone gaskets that go with it. It's an odd size, so the ones made for other brands don't work.

Fortunately, I was able to buy a sheet (roughly a foot square) of food-grade silicone (3mm thick) on eBay and cut four new gaskets with the aid of a mathematical compass and a pair of sharp scissors. These handmade gaskets actually work better than the one that came with it, because they fit a little bit more tightly. They work a treat, and now I'm pretty sure this is a pot that will 'see me out,' as they say in this part of the world!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›