1.0 out of 5 stars Buying 'on impulse' is sometimes a mistake!, 13 July 2007
This review is from: Hookorama: 25 Fabulous Things to Crochet (Hardcover)
Yes this book was an impulse buy and now I regret it. I dislike it intensely and wish to warn people away from it.
First, some background. I'm 48, female, and can do/have done knitting, crochet, macrame, sewing, embroidery, quilting, tatting, rug-making etc etc. I do these things intermittently and often need to refresh/update my skills. Currently recovering from surgery I thought I'd take up crochet again. You can crochet anywhere in any position (even lying prone!), it works up quickly and you don't lose stitches, but I knew I needed a reintroduction to the stitches and techniques and how to follow patterns. I have a low boredom threshold so was looking for patterns that were out of the ordinary but not too difficult. My sister recently produced some marvellous, practical yet out-of-the-ordinary items from a modern crochet book so I was looking for something similar. Hookorama seemed to fit the bill, so I bought it.
Initially, my disappointment was purely personal. I soon realised that the items to crochet were far too whimsical for my taste. I have no use for a parasol-cover, crocheted glasses, or baguette warmers (a stripey tube. That's all, a stripey tube.) However, I thought I'd keep it: the section on basic stitches is clear and helped to remind me of what you do when you crochet. So I thought that I would try out some of the patterns in order to get back into the way of things. That is when my problems started. Specifically:
1. Page 88, creamy coasters and placemats. chart circular diagram with no explanation on how to follow a chart. Struggled through, completed, proud of self. Felting comes into it. I thought you felted the mat you'd just crocheted (having been done in arran-weight wool as per instructions it was a bit cumbersome and I thought felting would actually improve it). No, rereading and rereading the instructions again, I finally realised that I was supposed to purchase 'Tops' to make into felt which went underneath the coaster. Dear editors and authors, please make directions clear. That's what patterns are about. Bullet-pointing materials lists helps, because it shows when one item ends and another starts.
2. Page 109. Tunisian crochet banana. I was keen to try Tunisian crochet, and why not a banana for practice. I go to page 109. I find a picture of a Tunisian crochet banana, but no pattern for a Tunisian crochet banana. I look at the index, check the page number, no pattern. Look through book. Instructions on Tunision crochet pp26-27 (but no indication of length of hook needed) but no pattern.
3. Page 46. The Garden of Eden (grape clusters). Instructions start:Rnd 1: 4dc in 2nd ch from hook. No problem there, but there is no indication of how many chains to make in the first place.
This is just a small sample of misdirections and inaccuracies in this book. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
This is almost a 'coffee table' crochet book - looks good but on closer inspection is unworkable. A good enough read, in a patronising sort of way, nice (but not informative) pictures, but no substance. As we say in this part of the world, 'Fur coat and nae knickers'.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]