1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling piece of junk., 10 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Trust Oxxtron 1300 VA UPS, 230 V Power Supply Unit for PC - Black (Accessory)
It looks to good to be true and it honestly is! I will start this off by saying I am an IT professional and bought this for personal use, so I was trying to save some money and get more bang for my buck. What a mistake I made...

I read the other bad review for this unit and took it with a pinch of salt, but it is spot on. Not only did I have a dodgy connector on this unit which I had to bend back into shape to plug my monitor in, but the 1300Va is a joke. The batteries in this unit are simply rubbish as it would only power my PC for about 3 minutes until it shut it down.

I have replaced it with an APC unit which is only 650Va and it is lasting around 10 minutes, so simple maths tells you that the Trust should last for 20 minutes (being double the capacity). I was actually expecting a lot less as I have an overclocked core i7 running at 4ghz per core with 2 HDs and a 24" monitor, but 3 minutes - that's just wrong (as the APC unit I bought proves!)

My unit didn't charge properly, in fact after running it flat for a test, I plugged it back into the mains and it said it was fully charged - interesting...

Now the software, wow - I am shocked it even installed! On installation everything looked fine and it worked, it shut down my PC as planned. BUT, when I rebooted it lost connection to the UPS (which was connected via USB) and insisted to try connecting on RS232 (Com-1) - there was NO option to tell it the unit was USB and the only solution was to uninstall and reinstall at which point it then magically found the USB device again, only to lose it again when I rebooted. The options when it has detected it are also greyed out, so you cannot say after how many mins of power loss you want the device to power down after - it is locked to 13 mins with no way of changing this setting - kinda irrlevent anyway as it only lasts 3 mins before panicking and shutting my PC down. AFter 4 installation attempts including in ADMIN mode, I gave up.

I emailed Trust to get support, and 2 days later they responded telling me to try another USB port and completely ignoring my issues with the battery not holding charge or even showing it was charging (saying it was fully charged) - so I sent it back and now have a similar priced APC product and it is NIGHT AND DAY!

The software is incredible (PowerChute)! It shows you everything about your unit including the current exact voltage, the amount of cost per day in power to run it and instead of simply shutting down the PC when power is lost, it hibernates it (not an option with the awful Trust software which just shuts your PC down) - a far more sensible option as there is no chance of losing any unsaved work then.

With the APC unit, "magically" on a reboot the software still manages to communicate with the device ;-)

Avoid Trust products as much as you can, and try APC! Back-UPS CS 650VA 230V

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]