3.0 out of 5 stars Customer Care Problems, 9 May 2007
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital SLR Camera (18-70mm Lens Kit) (Electronics)
Hi,

First of all, I do not want to confuse any of you. But I want to add a small note.

The day after my D80 arrived (from amazon)... I took my first pictures. Just for a test. While I was browsing through them, I have noticed that black spot in all of the pictures.

This case is known as "dust in the low-pass filter". I am quite familiar with the problem. Was that a manifacturing error... or was I unlucky enough to get that single piece of dust inside my camera while I was mounting my lens (very carefully). I do not really know. The thing I know is that just after one day... I was in trouble...

There are two Nikon shops in the town. Both of them refused to apply the simple "Removing the dust from the low-pass filter" procedure listed in the manuel.

One of the shops said that they can send my camera to Nikon. This takes 4-5 weeks.

The shop said that they can send the camera to Nikon, it will take 4-5 weeks... and they charge me 100£ for this procedure (It sounded like the guy was trying to punish me for buying the Nikon D80 through Amazon, but not from his shop).

However I was lucky enough and the shop that rejected to help me the first time, noticed how desperate I was... and decided to help me... They applied the simple dust removal procedure as described in the manuel... and they saved me money and weeks...

But this has nothing to do with Nikon... It was my personal victory.

The result: Nikon has a terrible customer care policy. Once you buy their product... You are on your own. It takes weeks and money... Next time I will think twice before buying a Nikon.

Amazon simply asks you to first try going through the procedures of the manifacturer (I have already mentioned those procedures) and then... they probably will replace the product.

I have to say again: This is just my personal experience... But I was not happy with this entire mess. Especially with the customer care procedures of Nikon. I almost ended up paying extra 100£ and loosing my camera for 5 weeks.

Thats all.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Mar 2008 09:48:19 GMT
Rising Son says:
Have to disagree. Dust in the low pass filter is NOT a customer service problem. The reason why the manual describes the procedure to remove it is because the camera user is able to do this by themselves! You note yourself that it is a "simple dust removal procedure as described in the manuel... and they saved me money and weeks... "! You should never need to send a camera back to Nikon to do this - it's an 'everyday' occurrence for DSLR cameras. I'm most surprised that the customer in question took the camera to Nikon shops in order to address the problem. It's a bit like asking them to attach the strap to the camera for you. No wonder they tried to charge for the service. I mean, do you buy a new car then demand a free car wash when the car gets dirty from your driving it? Dust easily enters the camera when you change or attach lenses. If you need to go to Nikon dealer to figure out a solution to this problem, I would think twice about owning a D80 and return to point and shoot cameras. No offence.

Posted on 13 Nov 2008 23:35:51 GMT
A. Murphy says:
What has this comment got to do with the camera!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2008 10:08:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Nov 2008 10:09:48 GMT
It's about the original customer's apparent lack of knowledge wrt DSLRs in general. When the most advanced camera I owned was a Nikon compact Zoom (film) I wasn't sure how to clean the lens without scratching it so I went into my local Jessops to ask them; without saying a word the guy took the camera from me and cleaned the lens using a cloth he had in his shirt pocket, obviously this is something he does a lot. From that point on I knew how to clean a lens, and I'm pretty confident that method should apply to any lens as long as I use the right cloth. My point? Inexperienced people go to camera shops for the simplest of things, it's nothing to be embarrassed about but should not be taken as a fault of the camera or manufacturer.

Posted on 7 Sep 2011 02:06:41 BDT
Bash says:
I was thinking to buy Nikon, no I am now; not in a million years of a useful life. Reason: If anyone out there is not prepared to support their customer, I am not becoming another unlucky customer. I hate lack of happy endings in my purchases.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2011 20:55:13 BDT
Horneteer says:
This is not about Nikon cameras or the Nikon company. This is about a saleman who could not be bothered to show a potential customer how to do a fairly simple thing with his camera. I used to work in in a photographic retail outlet and would never have treated a customer this way no matter where he bought the camera. This is why my customers kept coming back.
We all have to start somewhere and messing with your new pride and joy can be a bit daunting first time out and I can fully understand how MB felt. If you do not have a decent phtographic outlet near you then try some of the online forums as you will always find folks willing to help out there.
To Bash I would say. Do not give up Nikon cameras. I have used them for years with no problems other than the odd failed battery, (old age) and yes, the old dust on the sensor issue. I have never dealt with Nikon directly for repairs as none of my cameras, lenses or flashguns have ever needed repirs. Even after my SB900 hit the deck, (concrete) and spewed all its batteries all over the place it still worked fine when the batteries were reinstalled.
Hope this helps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (4 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £199.00