2.0 out of 5 stars It just doesn't do it for me., 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Round About Midnight (Audio CD)
The tough thing about reviewing Miles Davis albums is that almost all of them have at some point been reassessed as masterpieces. Even albums like 'On the Corner', once derided, are now spoken of in hushed tones.

On Wikipedia, 'Round about Midnight' is said to be one of the best jazz recordings in history. But I have learnt to take all opinions other than my own with a pinch of salt if I am to stand even a chance of making an original contribution to music criticism.

So, without further ado, I proclaim that this particular album does not do that much for me. I don't know whether or not this is just Miles on a bad day or if it is that I don't like this style of jazz in general. I just feel this album lacks that intriguing atmosphere that pervades 'Milestones', 'A Kind of Blue', 'In A Silent Way', or 'Bitches Brew'.

I sort of made my mind up after the first chord. It just lacked that magic and I firmly believe that you can tell the merit of the whole from an analysis of its constituent parts. For me, it just never lifts off.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Mar 2013 23:33:24 GMT
penaltymate says:
After the first chord? Listen to yourself!!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2013 23:48:49 GMT
I take it from your comment that you disagree with my rating and method of reviewing. That's not a problem.

By your comment, do you wish to just state your opinion or engage me in conversation? If you want to just state your opinion then you have done so well. If you want me to reply, you're going to have to criticise my review a little more thoroughly by saying exactly why you don't think an album can be judged upon its opening moments.

Regards,

Alex Dunn

Posted on 18 May 2013 22:07:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 May 2013 22:08:04 BDT
T. S. C. says:
It is your review after all mate, not the queen's or Dave Cameron's or anyone else, and so if you are being honest I applaud you; better refreshing honesty than pretentious twaddle or trying to look clever any day! Your review has made me look elsewhere for a new Miles Davis cd, probably Bitches Brew. I love the guy, so talented and creative and he doesn't date either unlike some Jazz.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2013 13:19:06 BDT
Hi, T.S.C.

I am indeed being honest. Thanks for listening to my review and I'm glad it was convincing. 'Bitches Brew' is amazing although it's quite hard work!

Alex :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (7 customer reviews)

Reviewer