2.0 out of 5 stars Wishful Thinking........, 9 July 2009
This review is from: Black Clouds & Silver Linings [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
Why wishful thinking ? Well, I've read a few of the reviews and many people are lauding this as a fantastic album and almost a masterpiece. I have to disagree. I know music appreciation is ultimately subjective but this falls below the high standards that DT have set themselves over the years. From Awake to Train of Thought, fantastic albums - only Octavarium really let the side down. We saw though with Octavarium and Systematic Chaos that the strength in the songwriting was starting to wane.
Songs are being padded with too much noodling. There is no thought to the musicality or as to how the songs scan. Jordan seems to have a right to throw in a pointless honky-tonk piano bit on every album for instance.
Guys, stop believing your own press.....DT dont have to be about how many notes per minute you can shoe horn in. You're way better than that.
All of the individual musician's performances are, as you would expect, peerless from a technical point of view but they just lack a bit of the soul of some of the other albums.
Lyrically, it's the weakest album they have put out - even weaker than Octavarium. "A man without a face".......Come on guys....you'll be on the "midnight train" next !
Any other group would probably hail this as their masterpiece but I think DT are selling themselves short here. We know what these guys have delivered. Maybe the muse has left them. For another band this would get a higher score, for DT it's not good enough I don't think.

In years to come when all of the fizz has gone , fans will look back and say that TofT was the last really strong, original piece DT put out. Octavarium was too Muse influenced and Systematic Chaos was good but averagely-good. Black Clouds is a dip in form. I'm sure that loads of fans, like me , were excited when they listened to this on 22nd June but wanting it to be good doesn't make it good.
I'll be in Manchester on 9th Oct and London on 10th Oct and I can't wait - there is nothing like a DT show but I'll probably enjoy anything pre Octavarium most.

I'd be interested to know who shares my view.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jul 2009 20:00:23 BDT
R. W. says:
I agree with you.

Posted on 17 Aug 2009 01:44:14 BDT
I actually thought the "man without a face" was quite clever in terms of lyrics. I assume he meant that the doctor treating him had a surgical mask on and so appeared to not have a face.

Posted on 25 Nov 2009 19:33:32 GMT
Agma says:
i also agree with you!

Posted on 28 Dec 2009 13:41:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Dec 2009 13:46:10 GMT
Sk Askew says:
I agree also. I personally think Images, Awake and Scenes are masterpieces. Falling was good, 6 degrees was good, TOT was the weakest of the list. Oh, ACOS was really good too. everything post TOT was terrible. Still, I got a lot to thank DT for; Kevin moore, Chroma Key, Porcupine Tree ( even though their last one sucked ) Spocks Beard, Transatlantic. They opened my eyes to some great tunes. Oh, I loved Platypus too, Icecycles album. Dream Theater stagnated long ago and I see no change, unfortunately.

Posted on 18 Feb 2014 10:41:07 GMT
N. A. Davies says:
Yup bang on matey. Totally agree in 10 years or so we will all look back and see IAW, TOT, SFAM, 6D as the masterpieces, the odd bit of magic here and there on other albums, but a general decline that shows no sign of halting...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›