4.0 out of 5 stars First Listen, Live Review, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Arc (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
Ive just bought the album from an disreputable high street shop, then had a spot of breakfast before bringing it back to my lair and slipping it into my cd player which is wired up to an 8-track for what I consider the best sound around. So it's time to press play and away we go!

Cough Cough - So we've waited and waited and it's finally here, the anticipated new album from Everything Everything, who are either from Scotland or Manchester, i can't remember. This first track is sounding amazing, i give it a 10/10 after the first minute. Beautifiul vocals on the chorus, and funky vocals on the rest of the track, Then on top of that, theres that ear candy electronic buzzing sound that happens every minute or so. This is bound to be the best song on the album, they can't possibly top this. The rest of the album is gonna be downhill im afraid. Great bass line too. Im cominggg aliiiive. 10/10

Kemosabe - Boom, boom, boom. Isn't this the one i've heard on't radio? This is a great track too. He can really hit some high notes when he sings Kemosabe can't he! Great production, they do like to cram alot of it into one song. There's an art to doing that effectively though. No over-egging of the pudding here, i'm having a fun time listening to this classic. Bang goes my earlier theory, 10/10

Torso of the week - Interesting title, and time to slow things down after a hectic 1-2 opening salvo. Bass is still prominent in the mix. More acrobatic vocals. This is album of the year so far, although I think this is the 1st 2013 album i've heard, so it's still early days. This band certainly don't waste any vinyl. Every square inch is full of something happening. 9/10

Duet - Bring on the double bass. In a Kate Bush style, same strings as on Cloudbusting. They're not nicking stuff are they? Actually, I was getting an overall 80s vibe on this album. It was the decade of musical debauchery after all. I'm starting to feel a little claustrophobic, it's a tad too loud. They're like a bunch of kids in the studio, bashing everything in site. 7/10

Choice Mountain - Opening jerkyisms, Trying to slow it down again, but I doubt it will be long before a fuse is lighted. I'm sure this will be a grower. 8/10

Feet for Hands - Maybe the vocals are becoming a bit too tiresome now. He sounds like a big girl. This is their 3rd album right? Cuz on the bbc review that appears on the amazon page for this product, it says that Man Alive was their debut. But that can't be right, I remember their first album, and it was not Man Alive. I did hear Man Alive, but only once. I think I heard their debut too, once. There aren't enough hours in't day. Im usually listening to the Big Youth or Hamilton Bohannon. 5/10

Undrowned - Hmm, this is rather different. Just vocals and light harmonious guitars for starters. He is given to hollering isn't he? Now it's starting to build up, and to nice effect. The drums is getting louder, and then smash, here we go, an effective transition into dramatic territory. A shortie but goodie, 8/10

Arc - How exciting, it's title track time. The song that will act as a marker for where Everything Everything is, and what they stand for in the year of our lard, 2013. Oh, did it start? It's over! 1/10

Armourland - I'm hoping this is gonna be like ELO, at least going by the 1st minute it's not far off. Far simpler structure, very 80s chorus. Nice thumping electro drums, whatever they are. Lol, the chorus sounds like Johnny Hates Jazz. He competes well with Johnny as far as the vocals are concerned. This is dead sweet. Sooo schmaltzy. Lovin' it, which means i'll probably dislike it after a few iistens. 9/10

The House is Dust - And we're back in medieval times. On the edge of a forest. No, we're just entering town, like in Robin Hood times, and the vocalist has adjusted his style accordingly. He's dropped to what I would presume is a baritone. This coulda been used for that Olympic opening ceremony, after they've raised them pipes from't ground. Would have worked. Everything Eveyrthing suddenly appear atop each pipe, and play this, as the other performers look up impressed at the results of their slave labour. 7/10

Radiant - and it starts out sounding radiant too. The best production since tracks 1 and 2. You can bet they've put the 3rd, 4th and 5th best tracks as the last 3 tracks of the album. Those crafty Scots/Mancs. Less is more on this track, we can actually breath it in, rather than gasp in tedious awe. dangerously close to Coldplay territory tho, and dare I say...ooooh, i was gonna reference the terrible Elbow, but then this track really comes into its own, and displays a rip-roaring coda, whatever that is. 9/10

The Peaks - Nothing to report so far, and I'm over a minute in. It hasn't decided what it is yet. I'll let you know when it has, or when I have. Do i sense an attempt at epicness, seeing as we're closing in on the closing track? They seem to have time on their hands on this one, seems like it's gonna go on for a while. Trying to show they have other strings on their bow rather than just the uptempo, impatient ones. Ahh, a nice electronic/church organ sound, which proves me right on the epic thing, not that this is epic, on the contrary, but they are certainly trying to take us there. Theyre borrowing a trick from that Montreal band, can't remember the name, but it was everyones album of the year in about 2009. I'm not havin' this, what a con. 4/10

Don't Try - OOH, i haven't felt this invigorated since track 2. Nice vocal delivery. The track is sweet enough, but nothing special. Of course it's better than most of the garbage out there, but I'm judging this album against the pantheons of rock. Hmm, hard to make my mind up about that track. it was the last track, so I do have a little more thinking time.....I woulda given it 7, but it's the last track, and so I was a little underwhelmed. 6/10.

I recommend this album to all you hipsters out there who can't quite figure out what's hip. I also recommend it to all you hippies out there who have just once considered cutting your hair. When you DO get around to it, buy this album and take it to the barbershop with you. Choose from one of the fashionably smart cuts on each of these 4 musically fashion conscious young rock stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jan 2013 12:36:17 GMT
J FINCH says:
And the award for the most pointless review goes to............... YOU.. Yay!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 13:18:04 GMT
Big Twink says:
Very strange review

Posted on 15 Jan 2013 14:39:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jan 2013 14:39:27 GMT
David Fuller says:
Your review conjured up images of someone eating their fifth bowl of cornflakes, avoiding a pile of washing up, whilst drivelling ill-considered, sloppy waffle onto a keyboard, in the form of an unhelpful and casually dismissive review of a work that might've taken the best part of three years to create.

It's small consolation that you seem to have kept yourself amused for an hour or two in the process.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 17:02:54 GMT
Simony says:
Well, mine is the only review so far, so you'd be right!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 17:09:25 GMT
Simony says:
And your reply shows you have a tendency to patronise those who don't see things exactly as you do. It's a miserable life, David. Incidentally, if you're offended by the dismissive nature of my review (although I don't see how 4/5 is dismissive) then you should try reading the Daily Star's review. It's a blast.

Posted on 15 Jan 2013 18:40:50 GMT
J FINCH says:
The problem is the review is sloppy, badly written and self-indulgent. How can you really give a subjective view on something first time round? I didn't like beer the first time I tried it, I like it now.

Why are you writing a review? To offer advice to someone who may be unsure about whether or not to buy a product. That means a short concise view of the album has a whole, not a verbose inane ramble about the tracks and then a ridiculous point score out of ten. What of the production, which by the way is excellent?

I write songs, and I can accept that not everyone is going to like them. What I would expect though of someone publishing a review in the public domain is that the reviewer actually took time to listen, consider and maybe listen again and then put a bit of thought in to the words he/she typed. Not just bang on the keyboard like an over excited child with ADHD.

I see reviews like this all over Amazon and normally let them wash over me but this one annoyed me quite spectacularly because I've had this album for a few weeks and I really didn't think it deserved this kind of review, I thought it was disrespectful and rude. It also serves no purpose; no one who is confused as to whether or not they should buy this album is going to have their mind swayed by this.

So that's why we're leaving comments. Because what you have written is bilge, we may be patronising but as far as I'm concerned, it's better than being an idiot.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 21:52:04 GMT
Had the album for a few weeks? So you've committed the ultimate "bad review" by not buying the album but getting it for free somehow. You must really love this band.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 21:52:46 GMT
Simony says:
J, you need to get real son, this is Amazon customer reviews, we're not reaching for a pullitzer prize, why are you taking this so seriously? If i wanted to read a more considered review, I'd google a review from a newspaper/mag/ etc, only on Amazon can you get a live review! Let's mix it up a bit shall we? I advertised it as a live review, so if you objected so much about the benefit of such an exercise, why did you read on? Thanks for reading anyway, and go get a girlfriend.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 21:56:11 GMT
Simony says:
Dear John, I'm flattered that you think I needed a few weeks to come up with my review. But as it says on the tin, it was a live review, written as I was listening to the album for the FIRST TIME. Are you reading me John? Have a jolly day now, if that's at all possible for you! I was fully expecting this kind of reaction from Everything Everything fans. You've all put me off going to a gig now.

Posted on 15 Jan 2013 22:03:33 GMT
J FINCH says:
I've had my say, not going to enter tit for a tat with you. I did purchase the album on day of the release, but yes I got it for free before hand. I will take your advice and go out and get myself a girlfriend although I am fairly certain my wife wouldn't be too impressed with me!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›