5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Black and White printer, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Samsung Xpress M2022W A4 Mono Laser Printer (Accessory)
This was an urgent purchase, after my old HP inkjet printer gave up in the middle of a long document. I needed one delivered the same day so I bought it almost blindly without researching it properly. My criteria were a simple, black and white, quick and non-fussy laser printer. This turned out to be a great choice.

The best things about it:

1. It is easy to set up, it took me about 20 minutes to have the printer out of the box, plugged in and set up for wireless printing.

2. It is small and sturdy, in a compact square shape that takes up little space on my desk. I was a bit skeptical when I read on another review that the paper trays are flimsy but I found them normal. On a solid surface and with no unreasonable pressure, I don't see that anything would go wrong.

3. Really fast initialisation. It starts printing at the click of a mouse. You don't have to wait for the printer to warm up, and it's refreshing to no longer have the frustration of inkjet cartridge cleaning every time you initiate a print job.

4. The printing speed is fantastic. It prints flowingly, without too much noise, about 20 pages per minute. No paper jams yet.

5. Reliable wireless printing (although it does come with a USB cable too). I print from my PC, from my iPad and from my Chromebook, and wi-fi connection has never dropped so far.

6. Very good quality black and white prints, clear and crisp, and you can choose to use the eco feature to save toner by removing graphics and formatting.

And the rest:

- What this printer does not have, is automatic double-sided printing. However, it does give you a semi-automatic `print on both sides' option, which is surprisingly easy and efficient: If you check this option, then your document is printed by skipping a page and once it finishes you simply feed the printed pages again as a bunch (you don't need to sort them as the printer does this for you), and the full document is then printed double-sided. It's very simple and quick and I do print mostly double-sided.

- The main thing that bugs me about this printer is that it uses up quite a lot of toner. And the Samsung toner cartridges for this model cost anything between £35 - £48 on Amazon, so they are not exactly cheap. In my case the printer came with a brand new and full toner (or so says the Samsung printer manager when I set it up). This is supposedly meant to last for about 1,000 pages, but after a few weeks of moderate use I am getting an indication that the toner is now at 55%, and I have not printed nowhere near even 250 pages, and always print with the eco feature on.

So my only real issue is the toner cost - other than that, this is a great printer, at a great price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jun 2014 12:01:37 BDT
Pete F says:
Katia you must be very lucky, I have had this printer for several weeks and cannot connect it to my chromebook. I have tried all the suggested ways of registering it to Cloud Print none of them work and the instructions in the user manual are rubbish, I cannot get on to SyncThru Web Services. My chromebook speaks to the router, the printer sees the router, they just don't speak to each other and Samsung support line doesn't exist!

Posted on 7 Sep 2014 17:01:11 BDT
Dr N says:
I believe that the toner cartridge shipped with the printer is a 'starter cartridge' which is good for only 500 pages

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2015 17:15:08 BDT
Willful says:
That is so annoying about the starter cartridge, I bought the earlier version and it came with 2 free full cartridges in 2011, I have only just put in the second cartridge now at the beginning od 2015 and I had used the thing for college so you can imagine how much printing I did, 2 degree courses, why cant they do this same deal ay? It was easy to set up though, less technology maybe??
‹ Previous 1 Next ›