1.0 out of 5 stars Just dire, 5 July 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
I don't know how this book has received as many 4 and 5 star reviews as it had - does the author have a marketing trick? It has no redeeming features. It is badly written: bad/clunky dialog (countless examples but to give just one, how many FBI Special Agents in Charge would refer to themselves as Special Agent in Charge when talking to another FBI agent, rather than just SAC? None), bad characterisation, implausible characters (of course I'm prepared to overlook a high degree of implausibility, that goes with the territory of thriller writing, but the villain in this one had just such implausible skills given his upbringing that it didn't work for me) and bad/unbelievable plot. Time and time again it was just too implausible. One key section relies on the bad guy staying on a cruise ship for a week and then hacking in to the cruise ship's database and deleting his record. There is then no record to be found. Given the investigation is taking place at the end of that week, don't you think there'd be at least 20 hard copy printouts of passenger manifests on the ship, to say nothing of in the port records etc? I could go on and on pointing out the errors in this but that would get repetitive, rather like the constant and gratuitous descriptions of violence throughout the book.

In short, it reads like a very extended, rather disturbed essay written by a not very talented teenager

I love thrillers - from Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Jeffrey Deaver to name just a few - and I read a lot of them (probably 50 a year - I travel a lot and read on planes to distract myself) so I have to look outside the big names. I won't be reading any more of this guy. I only finished the book because I hate to leave a book unfinished and I was on a 13 hour flight with nothing else left to read. It still wasn't worth it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jul 2013 14:38:55 BDT
All I can say is I don't think we read the same book. I thought it was fantastic and cannot wait for his next book

Posted on 19 Jul 2013 14:39:52 BDT

Posted on 20 Jul 2013 10:20:13 BDT
peyps2k says:

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2013 17:27:46 BDT
I suspect we'll just have to agree to disagree. There's no need to get personal (how do you know what books I've written nor who I know?). But you don't need to know a special agent in charge to know that any 2 people who work in the same industry/profession use 3 syllable abbreviations rather than 6 syllable phrases when talking to each other. I could go on to list lots of other examples of clumsy dialog (and I will point out that it wasn't just the poor dialog or plot that led to my review) but I suspect that I won't change your opinion, not least because I see that despite claiming to read 200 books a year this is your first ever review on Amazon. Are you by any chance related to or a friend of the author?

Posted on 4 Aug 2013 09:59:48 BDT
I'm starting to suspect the four and five star reviews too. I got 2% through the book and couldn't keep reading due to the writing style.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Aug 2013 11:40:39 BDT
ncmc says:
I could not agree more with your post, I don't normally write reviews on Amazon, just Goodreads, but I felt I had to offer an alternative to all those questionable 4 and 5 star reviews. I think you summed it up perfectly when you said this was like something a 13 year old would write. The atrocious writing style, the gratuitous violence and sexual content, all lead me to believe that this author, if not actually a teenager, has the maturity and writing ability of one!

Posted on 27 Aug 2013 11:54:53 BDT
I had intended to give this "novel" a scathing review to express how depressed it made me feel. Admittedly, I should have abandoned it at an early stage instead of skim-reading to the end to find out how the "plot" was resolved. And then I saw that a sequel was probable: please, no! Thank you for expressing just about everything I would have written - though you might have added "slightly disturbed" to the description of the imaginary (?) teenager "author". Also, you did not give credit for unintentional (I hope) humour: the killer's sexual performances, the dog he gets to "heal" , the clunking cliches ("touched first base" etc). Now to link up my ereader and move this piece of semi-literate exploitation to where it belongs.

Posted on 15 Nov 2013 10:01:57 GMT
I totally agree with you.

I am an avid reader, enjoy creative as well as imaginative writing styles, with 'believable' plots. This book scored 0 in my view. Glad I only paid 38p as a daily kindle offer.

Posted on 20 Jan 2014 20:35:18 GMT
Avid Reader says:
So now that Nameless has sold more than 100,000 copies and has over 600 5 star reviews and many more 4 star reviews, do you people still believe all the good reviews are phony? Doesn't sound like a very well thought-out opinion to me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (1,264 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist