1.0 out of 5 stars Asus need to up their game and sort out their QC, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: Asus Eee Slate EP121-1A019M 12.1 Inch Tablet PC (Intel Core i5-470um,4GB, 64GB SSD,Bluetooth, 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium) (Personal Computers)
My background: I work in IT as a Systems and Software Manager.

Knowledge of Asus: Over the last 10 years or so have built around 20 PC's and Workstations using Asus motherboards and GPUs. Asus have generally been my brand of choice as not one of those systems has failed to date. Obviously some have been scrapped, but still never a problem in their working life!

The Asus eee Slate...

I was hoping to write a glowing review of this tablet. It had everything minus an easy way to change the battery and a dedicated GPU. I was obviously fully aware of both of these aspects prior to my purchase and thus as it ticked so many other boxes I went ahead with my purchase.

From this point things went wrong...

Asus's quality control (QC) appears to be almost non-existent with this product. In the last week I have had 3 of these units delivered by Amazon and all of them have been faulty or damaged in one way or another. The only praise I have is for Amazon themselves who have been fantastic throughout. I even reported the problem with the 2nd unit on Sunday and had a 3rd replacement by Monday AM. I have never had to use this returns service but it was an example to other companies. I obviously would rather have never had to use this service, but still it made the hassle less than the disappointment.

So what was wrong with the units...

The first:

Powered on and CPU (or system fan) was on at full rpm. This thing was noisy, so much so it makes the one that someone else recorded on youtube look quite! The only way I can compare it was to say on a size to noise ratio it was comparable to a rack server. There were also a few stuck pixels which again disappointing given the size of the screen and the total cost. The fan remained at this speed throughout the final Windows set up and subsequent reboots.

The second:

Perfect electronically, whisper quite. But the buttons at the top of the device were damaged. Again for a new device you do not expect this and so it went back.

The third:

Powered on; nice and quiet but no screen output, totally blank. It was running, as within a minute or so it did start to get warm and the fan kicked in slightly. I would guess this one maybe had a faulty GPU/CPU given they reside on the same chip.

So as I write this the third device is awaiting collection and with real regret I have had to opt for a refund. I really wanted this device, but I would have been foolish to have gone for a fourth replacement. I would have been constantly concerned about the ability of the device to last a year and beyond. OK in the first year you have a warranty but I believe with Asus you must pay inbound shipping regardless (need to check). Not only this, but I would then probably be without my tablet for several days at minimum. Also like for like replacements would worry me given how much I take care of my things. (Basically look the same as day one a year later!)

So I really cannot recommend this device. It needs some negative feedback as I really do not want people thinking it is great as it clearly carries more than its fair share of risks in terms of failures at present. Perhaps if those who have written positive reviews could come back on here in a years' time to confirm their devices are still working I would happily revise my comments to say I just ran into bad luck. If mine had worked like theirs then I am sure I would have been singing the praises of the device.

My advice: Hold off making a purchase until there is more feedback on the internet regarding the long term reliability of these. At present given how new these are there are no reports following their long term use/reliability.

Finally, thanks again Amazon; I'm just sorry Asus have let you down.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Jul 2011 15:22:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2011 17:24:19 BDT
Arctic20 says:
Update on my review:

The 3rd defective unit: It looks like this may well have been a backlight failure and not GPU. Testing with an HDMI cable would have been assist in ruling out the GPU. Similar failures on the Internet do point to the backlight.

Stock held by Amazon: After talking to them on the telephone they were going to inspect the stock they held given the number of problems I had experienced. Around 48 hours after this the stock was no longer available online. This could have been due to this investigation or just down to the fact they sold out.

Expecting a call from them on July 5th to confirm the situation.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2011 23:20:04 BDT
Did you get a reply yet?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2011 23:54:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jul 2011 23:56:23 BDT
Arctic20 says:
Hi Andreas,

Yes I spoke to them today and they said they could not find a fault with the batch they had in stock and it appears I was just really unlucky. (Such is life at times!)

They apparently opened up a new item, inspected it cosmetically and powered it on though they did not go through the final Windows set up. If they got to that stage and were happy, it would at least indicate that unit did not have any of the 3 problems/faults I had experienced. I had identified all 3 of mine by that same stage. Sure there could have been other issues, but I guess we can't expect them to run a lot more tests without invalidating the new status of their entire stock!

The value of this information is not as useful as it could be as that stock/batch has now sold out! There were only around 6 units left at the time they carried out this inspection. For the last 4 or 5 days they have been out of stock. It does show though that perhaps there is not a widespread issue.

Apparently around 50 new units are due on Thursday (7th), though they said that was not 100% definite. As you might also have seen on the internet these things are in short supply and delays appear to be common unfortunately.

I am probably going to try again, I thought the saying was 3rd time lucky, but hell I might as well try a 4th! The willingness to try a 4th time is that firstly I really wanted this unit and secondly Amazons return for DOA items (using DHL) has been trouble free.

If I do get a new unit I will come back with some up to date feedback for sure. Long term reliability is still an unknown for sure, but my luck has to change some time. If it doesn't at least I will be helping other customers by taking the defective ones off the market!

Best wishes and good luck if you are looking to buy one.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2011 00:05:03 BDT
Thanks for the reply, it would seem you were very unlucky. I have one on order with estimated dispatch tomorrow (6th July) to be delivered this Friday. I will also update with a review when it eventually comes.

Posted on 7 Jul 2011 10:49:49 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Jul 2011 10:53:50 BDT]

Posted on 13 Aug 2011 11:51:15 BDT
D. HOWARD says:
Does this tablet include a camera. Most tablets seem to but it is not mentioned on here.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›