4.0 out of 5 stars Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque (For Dry, Damaged Hair) - 250ml/8.5oz (Misc.)
What it says: Revitalizing hair re-constructor for dry, damaged hair.

How to use: Liberally comb through clean, wet hair and allow up to 7 minutes of penetration before rinsing. No heat necessary. Deep Repair Mask is an intensive treatment. Use no more than twice a week.

I had a soft wave permed into my hair the other week, and got it done on the same day as I got my hair dyed red, so as you can probably tell, my hair terribly over processed. It could be a good thing, as the best reviews always come about when a product is tested on something that needs it. You see all these commercials on television where, for example, 88% of 190 women agree with whatever is being tested, and if said product is anti-wrinkle cream, why on Earth do they advertise it being used on women who don't need it?!

If this Macadamia repair mask had been used on someone whose hair is in tiptop condition, then how would they know if it worked? Sure, they could testify the living daylights and have everyone feel their hair, but in order to get a true idea of how well it works, a product must be used on what it is born to do.

Anyhoo, when I first looked at the conditioner in the tub, it looked like a run-of-the-mill product that you would buy for half price in a drug store. The consistency starts off quite thin when on your fingers (yes, I stuck my digits right into it!), but rapidly thickens up on application to your hair. There seems to a bit of 'silkiness' to it which reminds me, in a way, of creamy eyeshadow.

The colour of it is very pretty indeed. It’s pearlescent and catches the light so beautifully, and it's that prettiness draws you closer in order to get better acquainted, which leads me to my next point.

The scent of it, however, laid to rest my feelings of having wasted my money on a name. The fragrance was macadamia from start to finish, and if you know how much it takes to get even a few ounces of macadamia oil, you will understand what I mean. In a run-of-the-mill half price conditioner, you might get either a miniscule hint of the main ingredient, or you get an overwhelming bunch of chemicals that make your eyes water.

Macadamia has nature from start to finish, so you know that it isn't just writing on a pretty little tub, and that macadamia really is the main (and active) ingredient. This gorgeous, natural scent not only lasts, but it also carries. I had a couple of people stop me in Sainsbury to ask me what perfume I was wearing! If that wasn't enough of an ego boost, then hearing from a rather handsome fella that my hair had caught his eye really was.

I was still sniffing my hair as I snuggled up in bed! I truly do love it with all my heart. Before I get anymore carried away, I must talk about how the product performs. As it’s for dry/damaged hair, my hair is probably the best test run Macadamia will ever get.

The tub said to "liberally comb through" and I followed the instructions to the T. I began working it through the ends with my fingertips first just to get a covering before going in with the comb. My hair was so dry, I had to use a wide-toothed comb to get most of the tangles out, and then used a standard comb. I left it to work for five minutes or so, and then applied to the roots.

There's a marked difference in consistency, which is expected. It seems to become thicker and creamier when you begin to comb and work it through your hair. In the same way you can feel shampoo cleansing your hair, you can feel this Masque getting down and deep as it does what it says on the tin.

What pleased me about this was the complete lack of the tacky and clogging feeling some conditioners can have, it is also neither runny or gooey. Long story short, the consistency is almost exact.

As you might imagine, my severely processed hair would tangle several inches before the ends, and when that happens, you know it’s in bad shape. No way, I thought, no way could a conditioner, even one as intensive as this, make a difference in one single application.

I've never been so happy to be wrong in my life!

My poor, distressed hair commanded me to use it within ten minutes of opening the package. Yes, I was an eager little bunny! I first washed with Matrix Biolage Colourtherapie shampoo, which I also purchased around the same time, for which there will be a review posted at the weekend.

There is a noticeable difference immediately after rinsing. It felt much, much softer against my cheeks, while the dry ends didn't irritate the nape of my neck or make my neck itch like usual. It truly feels absolutely gorgeous and I can’t stop touching it. Another bonus is how my waves are much more defined now that the hair is getting some much needed nourishment.

The Matrix Biolage Color Care Intensive Conditioning Mask did in four weeks what Macadamia did in seven minutes. Oh, I know it could be a one-off and I got lucky, but when my hair was still wet over half hour later, and my fingers ran through it with no sign of tangles.

My hair is soft and still very dry at the ends, but that will be fixed with a little TLC. There is also a shine to it that’s been missing for a long, long time, and I feel as though I'm finally getting myself back on track after the boxing match with ill health the last few years.

The downside is the price. While it's often said that "You get what you pay for" and in some cases, it's true, but spending £21.50 on a conditioner? The price is extremely steep and spending what is essentially a weeks' worth of groceries cannot be justified by saying "I have dry hair."

I love this product, I really do, and it works wonderfully, but...

£21.50 is just too much for anything other than that rare treat you allow yourself on your birthday, and Christmas. Though if you can afford to use it regularly, then you won't find a much better conditioner on the market.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]