4.0 out of 5 stars A nice set of scales - only downside is that the twin CR-2032 coin batteries can be expensive and only last a few months, 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: Duronic KS1009 Super Slim Design Digital Display 5KG Electronic Kitchen Scales - with Glossy Brushed Chrome surface (Kitchen & Home)
These Duronic scales replaced our 10 year old digital Salter scales that finally succumbed. Duronic are a brand that sells exclusively via Amazon, and these scales build quality is pretty good - they seem the equal of modern Salter kitchen scales. There's two proper click buttons on the scales for 'Unit' and 'on/off Tare', and the scales go up to 5 kg/11 lb. Weight units are selectable as g, fl oz, oz or ml [where oz display as lb & oz]. The 20cm x 20cm x 1.5 cm balance works via 4 'high precision' sensors built into the balance's feet, so the entire flat stainless steel top is the balance. As these feet stand proud underneath, I'm careful when sliding the scales into storage as these delicate feet can snag. Owing to the front buttons/display, only 15.5cm of the top back-to-front area can be used to place the items to be weighed. The 5.5 x 2.5 cm illuminated display is easy to read with white numerals on a bright blue backlight. The balance switches on via the on/tare button, auto-zeros, and once it's on, you can repeatedly tare to zero as you add ingredients up to the maximum weight.

There's an auto-off feature to save batteries, and the unit switches off automatically exactly 1 minute after the last weighing - losing any weight showing on the display. You can switch units when the balance is weighing and the weight appears very quickly, in under a second whether 50g or 2kg. Hold down the on/tare button and the balance switches off. Although perfect for worktops and lino floors, the balance can't be used on carpets. It's all so simple and logical you don't need a manual, although a little folded A4 sheet guide was supplied. There's LCD warnings for 'unstable' [uneven floor], low battery [Lo] and 'minus weight' [EEEE]. I weighed an article at work on a high precision balance and the Duronic was just as accurate within it's 1g minimum resolution. We have no problems with flour etc trapping in the buttons.

The only downside really is that the two supplied batteries are CR-2032s, and they run the bright backlight. So obtain a few spares beforehand on-line as they can be expensive when bought in the highstreet and fail quickly when exhausted. In their favour CR-2032s retain their charge better at lower temperatures, but I prefered our old Salter's 9v battery that lasted 10+ years. Otherwise a nice responsive balance to use and cheap to buy, so we're happy [4*]. Two and a half years on the scales are still working fine, although having been caught out a few times with sudden battery failure, we have recently bought a second set of cheap kitchen scales: the Andrew James Electronic Digital Kitchen Scales With Glass Platform as these scales run far longer between battery changes as they use 2xAAA batteries (supplied) and don't run a back-light. We are keeping these Duronic KS1009 scales as well though, as my daughter likes the Duronic's style and its options of ml and fluid oz.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Dec 2011 16:33:03 GMT
Panasonic CR-2032 Lithium Coin Battery - Twelve Pack - 2.99 with free P&P from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2011 22:38:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Nov 2013 20:14:25 GMT
Keith_Joseph says:
Thanks for the info PJ - I had already ordered the very ones. However see Mister G's post below about problems with his more recent CR-2032 purchase. Tesco's sell two x CR-3032 for 4 as I write and uk.rs-online.com sell them on-line for 1.19 each (free delivery on orders over 20). If I'm buying batteries, and other items often forged (e.g. headphones), I always try and source direct from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2013 18:48:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Nov 2013 18:53:14 GMT
Mister G says:
I bought the 2032s from the seller in your link and they lasted no time at all - I could not understand it until I read the most popular reviews on the Panasonic CR-2032 Lithium Coin Battery - Twelve Pack where people were saying the same thing and advising against buying them. If you buy the batteries from your local supermarket, they may cost more but at least they last longer than a tuna sandwich.

My point - I suspect that the reason why your batteries do not last is nothing to do with the scales.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2013 19:27:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Nov 2013 20:57:55 GMT
Keith_Joseph says:
Hi MG. Our 'Panasonic' CR-2032 batteries easily lasted 3 months+ which I didn't think was bad, but I guess it depends how often you use the scales. In comparison our 9v battery driven Salter scales lasted 10+ years between battery changes. However I bought my 'Panasonic' CR-2032 batteries over two years ago and the latest ones may well not be the same (possibly forgeries, and I notice that the reseller I used isn't listed there anymore). Thanks for sharing your findings on the 12 pack CR-2032s, I'll be wary when I order replacements. Companies do also make cheap batteries for 'demo' mode that are deliberately short lived just to get you going, and the latest ones listed may well be this variety. I'll remove the direct link from the review. Thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Keith_Joseph
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Location: West Berkshire, England