1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it for Motorhome \ Caravan, stick to standard Nav, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Garmin Dezl 560LT 5" Truck/Caravan Sat Nav with Europe Maps and Lifetime Traffic Subscription (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have a 23ft coach-built motorhome - over 8 feet wide at the mirrors, so my primary requirement was not to be led down little single-track country lanes.

I read all of the feedback. Some very good, some very bad and decided that as I could return this to Amazon if I wasn't happy with it, I'd try it out - and boy, what a disappointment it is.

The bottom line is that this is no different in its driving experience to a standard Garmin Nav (I also have a 1490T) and there's the problem.

Not only does it try to divert me off of what I already know is the shortest and quickest route, but it persistently tries to send me down little narrow lanes. I've read many reviews of the DESL here and elsewhere and there are comments reminding one that a Nav is no replacement for common sense or a map. OK wise-guys, so why should I spend £150 more and still have to look at a map to make sure Ms Garmin might or might not send me down a little lane that might or might not be on the route she chooses?

It may work for truckers following the country's arterial routes and through cities, but for me in Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall its a potential disaster.

It was an easy easy choice to send this back.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Dec 2012 07:49:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 07:50:31 GMT
RayJSJ says:
The mapping is obviously not 'Actual' laser measurement mapping but 'Legal restriction' mapping which is rubbish.The technology exists for 'Actual' road mapping, hence 'Google Earth' who have Filmed most of the 'paved roads' in western Europe, if not the World. Just swap the cameras for Laser scanners Job done !

Posted on 23 Aug 2013 11:50:21 BDT
I am a MH owner and this is always true about garmin that they take you off main roads. If you save time I can understand it but when i have specified quickets time i find that if i see a turning i dont like the look of and so ignore it , the Garmin then recalulates the root and the arrival time is sooner !!! I have the 465T and in the UK its not too bad but iin Europe its useless and this one seems to be the same. Why garmin havent sorted this out is a Mystery. May as well buy a map and chuck it out the window.

Posted on 28 Aug 2013 16:46:12 BDT
Philspyder says:
I am in France and having the same problem, tried every configeration and it still taking me into medieval villages and farm tracks, reinstalled maps x2 last attempt it took me into a village the streets were 9ft wide max my camper is 8ft 6ins!!!!. I was half a mile from a mjor road taking me to my destination and it insisted on taking me down a farm track or not much better to my destination.
I have contacted Garmin support 4 days ago NO REPLY. My Garmin says its a Dezi 560 it has no other codes??

Posted on 24 Oct 2013 17:55:49 BDT
I. R. Jones says:
A satnav is not a replacement for local knowledge. It's designed to aid you in finding places and routes you are unfamiliar with. It cannot read your mind! If you are taking an 8ft wide 23ft long motorhome down the little lanes of Somerset etc. then you will be bound to encounter a lot of small roads! The satnav cannot magic you onto roads that don't exist!!
It seems that some users don't have the common sense needed to use such a device correctly!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2013 19:38:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Oct 2013 19:39:42 BDT
I think you will find that the whole point of this particular satnav and the manner in which it is marketed is that it helps you avoid narrow lanes, low bridges and so on. Otherwise there is simply no point in choosing it over a "standard" nav. In the description on Amazon, the first point stated is "Specify vehicle height, width, length, weight and hazardous materials and avoid routes where restrictions apply"... yet when I used it, it tried a number of times (in addition to the narrow lanes) to send me down routes where restrictions apply.

So my point is that a Standard nav is just as good. And actually, there is no magic required, not only were the the roads I was on already plenty wide enough, but they were already the shortest and quickest route to my destination (so why try to send me elsewhere?).

My review was made in good faith as advice to potential purchasers - and if you want to be patronising and insulting I would suggest you take your comments elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2013 13:42:53 BDT
Philspyder says:
Update on my Dezi 560 , returned it to Garmin for replacement, tried it out on a trip and this replacement unit is different to my original and works a lot faster however I have lost all confidence in it as a Sat Nav when set as the dimensions of my motor home and set it as a 35 ton wagon 2.5 meters wide and it works much better keeping me on main roads as opposed to taken me down farm tracks, I also get the weight restrictions coming up which never happened when set as a 3.5 ton motor home. Garmin returned the unit very quickly and the unit is different in its display to the original unit, this is not perfect but it is a solution? The idea is great but it has limitations as all sat navs have. Maps are still needed to check your route in advance. I would not buy this product unless you have a 35 ton wagon.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2013 11:15:09 GMT
Ardamine says:
Garmin Dezl 560 LMT 5 inch Sat Nav for Truck/Caravan with Lifetime Maps and Traffic. My experience is the same. When a route from Newton Abbot to Two Bridges was selected it chose a route through Ashburton that eventually ended in a track with a sign Suitable for Tractors Only! Despite having No Gravel Tracks selected in preferences. While using a large vehicle in France and following a route from A to B chosen by the Dezl we almost always ended up on a road the Dezl would then inform us it had no information for the vehicle we were using. That would leave you not knowing how far back you needed to travel to find a route you could use. Totally unacceptable

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2013 14:55:24 GMT
Philspyder says:
I sent my unit back to Garmin who changed it for a refurbished unit which considering mine was brand new I was not happy about but the replacement looked new so not really a problem, the new unit is much faster in loading up the route and I now use it set as a lorry with my motor home dimensions loaded in set up and it seems to work much better and keeps me away from narrow roads and tracks, this unit obviously has been sold with major problems that Garmin know about and I feel I have been stung but never again would I buy from Garmin, when set as a caravan /motor home its useless but as a lorry with the same dimensions as I used in caravan /motor home it takes me on main roads whenever possible however I now carry a back up my old unit just in case.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2013 15:09:42 GMT
I think the guidance for anyone reading this would be to check the unit out asap so that you can return it to Amazon within a couple of weeks and get a full refund - I'm glad I planned my purchase that way!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2013 10:36:06 GMT
Ardamine says:
Garmin Dezl 560 LMT 5 inch Sat Nav for Truck/Caravan with Lifetime Maps and TrafficI find your comments silly and very unhelpful. I purchased the Dezl because I do NOT have local knowledge of all the roads on the Continent. The fact that you could programme in the Weight and Dimension of your outfit and it would then route you away from any unsuitable roads is the main selling point. In France and Spain it would select a route from A to B and in some cases miles later it would inform you it had NO Data on the route it had selected for you to travel on. Not very helpful as it never offered a alternative and left you with a choice, continue on the route selected or turn back and find an alternative suitable for your vehicle. Which I had to do using an Atlas thereby proving to me what a waste of money the Dezl is. My friend has the comparable TomTom unit and it seems to be much more accurate in its route selection.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›