3.0 out of 5 stars Lucky to get three., 31 May 2013
This review is from: Setlist: The Very Best Of Elvis Presley Live (Audio CD)
Before declaring why I'm not being more enthusiastic about this cd let me say that Elvis had the most beautiful voice I have ever heard but over the years, in general, he has not been served well by his record company. I wish I was able to give this more than three and some Elvis fans will no doubt disagree with my reason for not doing so...the main being this. The "Aloha" version of "American Trilogy" is far from being the best and there are several that are better on other cds. Unfortunately, THE BEST version is continuously ignored on compilation cds and is, once again, on this...the so-called "best". Far and away the greatest version was that released as the single in 1972...the one with "the scream"...Elvis fans will know what that means. Over the years I have bought compilation cds containing "Trilogy" hoping to find this version only to be disappointed. It's as if it's been lost or destroyed which surely cant be true. But it is something that I just dont understand and if someone can guide me to a cd containing this version I would be forever grateful.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jun 2013 09:44:50 BDT
David -

The single version of Trilogy was from Las Vegas, on 16 Feb 1972. The 'scream' version was from Hampton Roads, Virginia, on 9 April 1972. It was first issued on the soundtrack LP "This Is Elvis" in 1981, with beautiful orchestral overdubs. That LP has never, to my knowledge, been issued officially on CD.

This website http://www.keithflynn.com/essential_lists/concerts-1972.html has details of its availability, e.g. on 'All Time Greatest Hits' but, beware, there could be several CDs with similar titles. Let me have your e-mail address and I could send you an MP3 or CDR of the track. Incidentally, the Aloha version of Trilogy is well regarded and much better, I think, than the original single.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013 21:11:09 BDT
zvi lior says:
Guys, The "scream version" is the one from "Madison Square garden" which you can easily get from the "Prince" new release ..The Aloha version is superb but so is the single version in which Elvis still sings " I wish i was ...." with the band ( He has stopped doing that later that year and never returned to it .

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013 21:14:33 BDT
Sorry, zvi lior, but I think my comments still apply !

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013 21:19:57 BDT
zvi lior says:
Well, all you have to do is listen ....opinions can be debated not facts , Elvis put outs a big scream on the second verse of the "Madison trilogy" version , I know this since I have bought the album back in 72 when I was 12 :) and of course your comment regarding the "best version" applies and respected.... ( BTW . I have all versions and every "Elvis recording" released..

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013 21:33:33 BDT
I bought the MSG LP in 1972, when I was 24 ! I think we're at cross-purposes here. I'm referring to the one where a girl in the audience screams out, the one with lush orchestral backing, done for the film This Is Elvis, but originally recorded at Hampton Roads, Virginia, as stated above. Do you not have the double LP, This Is Elvis ?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013 21:37:50 BDT
zvi lior says:
Well, I am listening now ! sure I have it , this version is great , you are right. Elvis is screaming on the original "Madison" version - listen to it ( we are talking about different screams I reckon )

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013 21:45:35 BDT
Yes - different screams. I think on Madison, a girl screams "Elviiiiiiiiiiiiiis!" and Elvis replies, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?". On the Hampton Roads version, the atmosphere is already electric when, just before Elvis comes in for the final chorus, a girl lets out a blood-curdling scream which just heightens the tension even more. Anyhow, best wishes and happy listening !

Posted on 27 Aug 2013 14:56:56 BDT
teddy boy says:
David....if the version you are seeking refers to a girl in the audiance screeming out when the band reaches a crescendo in the middle of the trilogy, then the version you want is included in Presley..The Alltime Greatest hits. Album ref PD90100(2)
Jonmat

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2013 14:30:50 GMT
David Sands says:
Hi Teddy Boy...just ordered it..my sincere thanks for the info..cant wait to hear again the, by far, best version.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2014 17:39:30 GMT
P. Wheeler says:
Thank you for starting this discussion i almost ordered the Aloha version and would have been very disappointed but have now ordered the right one :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›