14 of 15 people found the following review helpful
A focused, concise and inspirational read,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Zen in the Martial Arts (Mass Market Paperback)
This was a great little book! General anecdotes, ancient fables heard and described first hand and personal stories all mixed together in a great little volume that can easily be started and finished in one day.
The author describes lessons learned both in practicing martial arts and extrapolating to daily life in an understandable and relatable manner. But not just stating these lessons i.e. 'as Bruce Lee said this, I learned that', but actually analysing, discussing and evaluating these lessons from a personal viewpoint. And yes you read right, this guy actually practised martial arts with Bruce Lee... and in his own back yard. Now that is a story in itself!
Some examples of subject matter:
* Unlearning in order to relearn new teachings
* Sensing attack and dealing with fear
* Attacking without give signals of attack (reacting without thought)
* Channelling/ focusing energy
* Interrelation of mind and body (feeling/not feeling pain, healing etc)
* Self control and dissipating anger in a confrontation (winning through losing - very interesting)
These are just a few examples.
This is just wonderful reading: can teach in 100 or so short pages what many other books try - and often fail - to do in 350+ pages. Cannot recommend it enough.