5.0 out of 5 stars Very surprising and well represented catalog of the classics of hip-hop!, 3 Mar 2011
This review is from: Anthems Hip Hop - Ministry Of Sound [Explicit]
I have to be honest, I was wary of this CD. In the past, I have reviewed other imports from our British cousins of "compilations" of not only hip-hop but goth, rap and rock and roll here in America on Amazon.com. They all have fallen short by placing a few songs from the correct genre then putting songs that aren't even close to what was part of the original intent of the package. Well, my Amazon friends, this is a home-run, a touchdown, a score and a goal all wrapped up into one musical box - the good folks a Ministry of Sound Recordings have put together a surprisingly well-documented and just plain great catalog of some of the highlights of hip-hop over the last 25 years.

I could sit here and describe every track, but as it's a compilation I'll say this - to be honest, this is one of the better hip-hop compilation CD's I've had the pleasure to listen to in a long time.

We go from founding members Run-DMC to Kool Moe Dee, and from Snoop Doggy Dogg to the eternal classic love song to hip-hop titled "Used To Love H.E.R." by Chicago rapper Common Sense (later shortened to Common). I listened with glee as KRS-One, Cypress Hill, Big L & Jay-Z mixed it up with Dr. Dre and Nas and Xzibit.

Now my only negative comments about this 3 CD set are minor, but important - they seemed to run out of steam towards the end of the 3rd CD and threw in club style songs like Flo Rida's "Low," T.I.'s "Dead and Gone" and J-Kwon's "Tipsy," which to me are not "anthems" of hip hop - they are good songs, but not "classics" and considering the previous 25-plus tracks proceeding it, it's kind of an insult to the others included that such light stuff was left for the finale.

(I also did not recognize the songs by British rappers Sugar Bear, Roots Manuva & Blak Twang, but as this was released in England, I understand throwing in some artists from the European theater, and as I listened to them I looked them up on Wikipedia etc. and found they are worthy of this compilation for their contribution to hip-hop worldwide.)

All in all, the setup was nice, ALMOST the entire album was worthy of a listen - almost 3 hours of great music (and totally uncensored, which was an extra treat).

I almost took a star off because of the inclusion of radio-friendly middle-of-the-road music with no real heart towards the end, but I still gave it 5 stars regardless - we all can't make the perfect compilation, and I haven't found one yet - but this was as close you can come to!

Enjoy the music, as hip-hop is vital as a music form and the majority of the music on these discs can be spun and you will enjoy it!

(Thanks for reading, please let Amazon know if this review helped you, don't forget to leave me feedback if you'd like, and please check out my other reviews on the American version of Amazon.com!)

[Add comment]