4.0 out of 5 stars Longer Term Revue - Fine So Far, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Epson Stylus SX515W High-Speed All-in-One Printer with Individual Inks and Wi-Fi (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Lots of conflicting reviews, but more than three times as many 4-5* than 1-2* at the time of posting this revue; still a disconcerting amount of the latter though. 'Quality Control' issues? Would not expect this from 'Seiko Epson'. Thought I would add my own brief 'up-to-date longer term usage' review.

Had the 'SX515W' apprx. ten months at the date of posting this review. For once I did not buy it from 'Amazon' as I usually would as I needed it that very day/hour. To my delight the price at my local electrical store had been further reduced from 'last weeks' '£... Off RRP' with an extra 'Special Sale' £... discount off that too! Cheaper than the lower spec. 'Epson SX425W' and not that far off the full retail price of a set of 'Genuine' inks!

All my previous printers have been Epson; all pretty reliable, some a bit 'clunky' and/or slow, some heavy-ish on ink however I hasten to add that apart from very occasional exceptions I always get my photos professionally printed and use my printer primarily for light to moderate 'office' and personal use.

Good Points: Price paid!!! Wireless convenience of course; relatively compact and stylish, quite quiet (but with typically Epson 'clunky' start-up), very quick printing, good build quality, (apart from the cheap and flimsy 'pull-out' front paper tray), and finish, excellent printing quality, small sample pack of 'Epson' papers included as well as a full set of reasonably 'charged' inks. Some manufacturers do not include inks nowadays (utterly unbelievable!) or only provide ones that are low-filled so I am told? It has all the features, ports etc I require: 'Straightforward to install and set-up. One of the easier ones if anything' (Windows 7 Home Premium) so said my daughters partner who has had some experience of building/'sorting' computers for friends particularly six or seven years ago whilst at uni. All depends how much experience and 'nouse' you have in this 'department' I guess?

Bad Points: Uses far too much ink. Four individual ink tanks yes; but being of a particular 'stingy' capacity all but negates this attribute. My previous Epson used these so I was already aware of this 'negative'. Essentially I use 'Genuine' inks for the first year, i.e. whilst under guarantee then a tried and trusted 'compatible' brand of more affordable ones thereafter, and as mentioned I hardly ever print photos with it.

I understand there is a EU investigation into the 'criminal' goings on with regards to ink such is the depth of the problem brought on by all relevant manufacturers. Not before time I hear you all say! Needs someone to bring them to account and duly apply the appropriate punishment for this outrageous practice.

That's about it really. I am hoping that it will be as reliable as my previous Epson's. Fingers very firmly crossed! (Update: Still going strong, now approx. 2 years 3 months old).

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]