4.0 out of 5 stars Romance that sweeps you off your feet., 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Another Little Piece of My Heart (Kindle Edition)
It's probably become quite clear through some of my other reviews, if you have seen them, that I am not the biggest fan of romance books. I don't hate them all, but it takes something special for me to really enjoy one. But I requested this through Netgalley (thank you Harlequin Teen and Tracey Martin!) because of the music themed cover and that the summary actually sounded interesting and I am so glad I did!

I did have my reservations, unsure if I would like it or not, and I confess that it did take me about 40% of the book before I was truly invested. But by then, I could not put it down and kept on reading until I was finished, I was so caught up in Claire's story by then and needed to see how it ended for her.

Claire was a character that I quickly came to love, I felt she was really likeable and really relatable. I was confused by the whole situation with her mother, and why she had to break up with Jared but I soon got past that. I could completely relate to her love of music and how she uses it in her life; how she finds the perfect song that captures how she's feeling at that time. I loved her descriptions of how Jared would get when he was playing guitar, as someone who dates a guitar player it all sounded so familiar.

Jared was someone that I really disliked one minute and then, somehow without my knowing how, Tracey Martin had me completely swooning over him. When he and Claire see each other he makes a very hurtful comment about her that had me thinking he was a complete and utter d**khead! But then I found myself rooting for him, swooning over him and wanting him and Claire to get together. How Tracey Martin did it, I do not know but she is obviously a genius, usually my opinion never changes that drastically.

The secondary characters are a good part of the story too. I especially loved Claire's best friend Kristen and her wonderful, at times sarcastic, sense of humour. The way she answers the phone to Claire had me laughing every time.

I did have my issues with the scenes where Claire reminisced about her times with Jared. They felt a bit like 'this happened, then this and then that' and I didn't get much feeling for their relationship. I didn't really feel anything for them as a couple at that point. But once they were thrust back together, I really began to feel it.

This did have some problems but overall I really enjoyed it. This is what I prefer in a romance novel, a romance that sweeps me up along with the characters, that's more cutesy and romantic than it is full of angsty drama.

4/5 Stars

Great romance. Definitely recommend.

*I received a copy of this novel from the author/publisher/publicist via Netgalley in exchange for a free and honest review and received no monetary compensation for this review.

For more reviews and giveaways, check out my review blog [...]

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]