1.0 out of 5 stars This is horrible!, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Message In The Music: The Ashley Beedle Re-Edits (Audio CD)
I think my heading really sums this up, but I will say a bit more to explain why...

The main problem here is the song selections - they are just down right dull and totally un-inspiring. To make matters worse, the intros to most of the tracks have been extended on - and on - and on - and on.... and they go nowhere! You think it's gonna build up into some huge disco monster, but at 3:46, the intro is still just plodding along and still going nowhere. The tracks sound like the sort of boring holding music that you get to listen to on the phone when you're waiting to pay your overdue gas bill, only they actually sound BETTER down the phone! Which brings me to my next point...

The production. The sound is very synthetic, very mid-range and very 80's. It's totally devoid of what is behind good disco - soul! There is no punch or guts to the production on these tracks, with a couple of exceptions:

I'm giving this release 1 star for the following:

"I'm a Love Bug" by Donna McGhee, which is a great track though I had it already on one of the Deep Disco Culture releases. The production on the Ashley Beedle edit is actually very good and does have a lot more clarity and punch than the Deep Disco Culture version (which was probably taken straight from the vinyl).

"Whatcha Gonna Do" by Heaven & Hell, which is also a great track, but again I already had this on one of the Tom Moulton Philly Re-Grooved albums (yes, Tom Moulton. Therefore, no further re-mixes required - it would be like re-making Star Wars).

"Touch Sensitive" by The Fall. The Fall are just a great band, but this great track just sounds out of place in this selection. I love a truly eclectic mix, but you've gotta move smoothly through the styles, not just drop it in like a f@rt at a funeral.

This package looked potentially quite promising, but I must admit, when I saw this release was on Harmless, I was a bit dubious - they can be VERY hit and miss. But I thought if there's just one killer track on it, it will make the buy worthwhile. How wrong I was.

If the above mentioned tracks weren't on this package, I'd give it zero stars. If you want some really great top-notch disco, seek out the Disco Love compilations by Al Kent. This one however, is a total AVOID for me. I didn't even bother watching the DVD...

[Add comment]