5.0 out of 5 stars Good value Nikon, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Body (24.1MP) 3.2 inch LCD (Electronics)
I am not a Nikon fan boy. I use both Nikon and Canon cameras, so this review is not biased. Everyone buys cameras to do different things, and as such everyone has different requirements from a camera. As such, this is an opinion of this camera as it relates to how I use it.

The camera has good high ISO performance, but that was not my reason for buying it. The four main reasons why I bought it were, 1) I already have a lot of Nikon glass 2) I like to do a lot of work in photoshop and the 24mp images give me more scope for cropping and manipulating the image 3) Dual cards slots are very useful in a camera, if not essential to safeguard image corruption 4) this was a much as I wanted to spend on a new camera body at present.

Be aware that 24mp is really pushing the limits of your lenses. I own several gold ring lenses but only one of them really excels on the camera. You need the very best glass here.

If cost was not an issue I would have gone for the 610 or 800. In my opinion D7001 is probably not the best starter camera for a novice, a bit too complicated for starting out with, but it has a lot of flexibility for those who know how to use it. In my opinion, much better than the D7000, which I promptly returned to the shop for a refund two years ago because of focusing problems.
Nikon describe this as an enthusiast camera. I find their categorising of cameras in this way condescending. I have worked in photography long enough to know that I can produce the results I want with any half decent camera and don't need this sort of patronising attitude. Press and sport photographers may need the high ISO and high fps capabilities cameras like the D4 but there are many other types of photography where this camera will do the job just as well, and people need reminding from time to time that it is the photographer who makes the photo not the camera (of course once the machines takeover the world this may no longer be true).

This attitude does not seem to be so prevalent in the USA, where the D7001 can be listed as the second camera on your equipment list on application to the NPS, and it is not referred to as a amateur or enthusiasts camera.

Personally I would like to see a tad more weight to the camera, but many will prefer its lightweight body. All digi cameras are largely plastic now, they just wrap a metal shell around the more expensive models to give it a more rugged feel (and then photographers go and put them in a plastic peli case for protection, which I think is a little ironic). The D7100 is a sort of half metal shelled unit, implying it's a sort of half pro body I suppose. Its internal body and chassis is plastic. However, the camera feels quite solid and well built.

There are many features and improvements on this camera, and I would urge anyone to read one of the many full reviews on it. I could not possibly start to list them here. I think this is now the best value Nikon (if you are going to use all the features) and if like me you already own Nikon glass it's a logical choice. Top features from my point of view are the 24mp sensor and the dual memory card slots. If however you have not invested heavily in Nikon lenses, the Canon D70 also has a lot to offer. The touch screen may not sound like a deal breaker, but once you have used it you really miss it on the Nikon. You may also find its ergonomics better deciding on the size of your hands.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]