5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing TV, ours failed at first, but all good now, 30 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Panasonic Smart VIERA TX-P50VT30B 50-inch Full HD 1080p 3D 600Hz Internet-Ready Plasma TV with Freeview HD and Freesat HD (Installation Recommended) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Our TV is our main source of entertainment at home, so we decided to splash out on the top of the range TX-P50VT30-B, bought this week from a local supplier for £1765 with a five year genuine Panasonic guarantee included in the price. The guarantee sealed the deal, otherwise we'd have certainly used Amazon.

First impressions were of just how 'chunky' and solid feeling everything was. The stand is far more rigid than our old Toshiba one, and very easy to assemble, although this set is certainly a two person lift. It weighs a surprising amount in these days of lightweight electronic hardware.

The TV itself seems to be made of better materials than the Toshiba too, hence the weight, and the remote feels like holding a lump of metal compared to a bit of relatively flimsy plastic.

And then there's the picture....

Let's just say it's the best picture I've ever seen on any television. We seem to have avoided the green splodges and fluctuating brightness that one or two other reviewers have encountered, and I can't praise it highly enough. And with the five year guarantee, I'd like to think any future problems will be covered, if they happen of course.

We didn't really care about having 3D, and although we briefly tried the glasses and the facility it offers to make 2D programmes into 3D (rather impressive actually), we doubt the proper 3D will be used very often as we've no 3D films to watch at present.

Although I've bought the necessary bits of kit, we haven't set up our wireless internet facility at home yet either, so I can't comment on that aspect of the set's performance.

There's also little features, such as that each item in each section of the menu has a description at the bottom of the screen so you know just what it does, that make this set head and shoulders above any we've previously had. No wonder it's come top in so many reviews.

Summing up, in my opinion, yes it's expensive, but what a fantastic set. And it has a proper on/off button too, something rarely seen these days. If you can afford it, have a look at one in a shop and then prepare to get out your wallet. I'm sure you'll love it.

Update - 29th March 2012. We were still delighted with it until tonight, when, without warning, there was a loud noise and the screen went blank followed by the standby light flashing a few times and going off. Closer investigation showed the screen at the top right hand side was very hot and had a large crack in it. Needless to say, we're awaiting our dealer collecting it, but to me, it's had it and will have to be replaced under warranty. I'll update this once I know more.

4th May 2012. It was collected by our dealer (who has been nothing short of excellent) on Monday April 2nd, for repair. After Panasonic had finally been satisfied we hadn't damaged it ourselves (we were just watching the telly and it went bang, for goodness sake!), he's been trying to repair it ever since. It's had a new screen and two printed circuit boards so far. We're still watching our spare one, and no sign of our Panasonic coming back. He's ordered a second new screen which was supposed to be in today. It's got to lose a star now (down to four), just for FIVE WEEKS with no telly! Watch this space....

10th May 2012. Finally, our long suffering dealer arrived at our door this afternoon with a fully repaired and working TV. Six weeks and a day after it broke, we got it back. It seems fine again now (although I'd almost forgotten how the remote worked), but I'll edit the review again if necessary.

16th May 2012. Here we go again. It's broken down again tonight. The screen hasn't cracked this time, but it started switching itself off at random, and now won't work at all. I think it's time we had a replacement from Panasonic. More here once I know more (and we're down to a generous three stars now.)

25th May 2012. Panasonic got it collected by their main service centre near here (Integrated Services Ltd of Kettering) last Friday and we got it back this morning. It seems to be working fine once more. Only time will tell how long it lasts, but at least we didn't have to wait six weeks for it to be returned this time.

Incidentally, should anyone else intend use them, ISL were excellent, kept us fully informed of progress by text, and were very punctual collecting and delivering the set.

20th January 2013. As many folks perhaps won't bother to read the 'comments' below, it's only fair to put this review back up to five stars now. The set has been superseded, but since I last updated this, we've had no problems at all with it (famous last words!) As far as I can tell, plasma is still king for the best picture when viewed from all angles.

If you're able to pick one of these TVs up for under £1000, you're in for a real treat.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Jun 2012 11:45:02 BDT
If i had a telly that broke twice in such a short timescale i would have rejected it and demanded a new one. Hopefully its ok now but if not then reject it as this particular tv is obviously not fit for purpose.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2012 12:22:23 BDT
Justin Case says:
I know what you mean, and I tried to, but Panasonic have a policy of replacement if it fails within 28 days and only repair thereafter. If it subsequently fails again three times, I believe they'll then replace it. I gather most big companies do the same.

My biggest grumble was with how long it took to get it repaired. That was a combination of parts not being available in the UK, and further faults appearing which the dealer couldn't find until after he'd fitted the first new screen and could do more tests, and then having to order more parts for.

Thankfully, it's now fine again though, and still a blooming good telly!

Posted on 22 Dec 2012 11:59:55 GMT
snoozy says:
I was seriously thinking of buying this for Christmas,i have changed my mind thank you for the updates.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2012 13:45:42 GMT
Justin Case says:
You're most welcome, but I'd still buy it if I were you.

Famous last words, but since we had the problems back in the spring, it's been perfect (you watch it explode this evening now!) and it has such a great picture.

As long as you get a good one, I'm sure you'll be delighted with it, and even if you have problems, ultimately, we got them properly sorted out by Panasonic free of charge, and I'm sure you will too.

My only caveat - the newer model is supposed to be even better (the current reference standard for all TVs in fact), so if you can afford that one, I'd be inclined to go for it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›