5.0 out of 5 stars Boom! This speaker just blew me away!, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ultimate Ears BOOM - Black Night (Electronics)
After returning my Bose Soundlink Mini (it developed a fault and I opted for a refund), I went looking around (yet again!) for a bluetooth speaker. I looked at all the usual suspects in the 100-200 range, and eventually decided upon the UE Boom!

Here's why...

What is it?
--------------
The UE Boom is a wireless Bluetooth speaker. In short, if you've got a smartphone (ie. any Android or iPhone) or tablet (eg. Nexus, Kindle Fire or iPad) or even a modern laptop you can wirelessly stream (play) music from your device. No wires, no fuss just great sound quality!

What I needed?
----------------------
In order of priority:-

1. Sound Quality - needs to be top class. I'm no audiophile, but at 150+ I want the best possible full, rich and (ideally) room filling sound
2. Portability - I want to use it around the house, and out on the occasional picnic or outdoor event
3. Rugged - It needs to be a little rugged. Not that I'm taking it to rock festival mud bath - but I want to use it in the bathroom in the morning and not have it break down
4. Battery Powered - Goes with portability really. I needs to be include a rechargeable battery. At least 5-6 hours.
5. Linked up - Ideally I'd like to have one permanently in the bathroom, with the option to buy another and stream to them both.
6. Line in - so I can plug in an MP3 player or external CD player (optional)

In reality only 1-4 were mandatory. The rest I could live without.

How does it work?
------------------------
You simply "pair" the speaker and phone/iPad and play your music or radio.
On the iPhone (but almost certainly available on Android) I use the following Apps:-

* Music - to stream music from my iPhone and iPad
* Tune In Radio - An app to listen to world wide radio stations (or XFM London and Radio 4 in my case)
* Spotify - where for 5-10 a month (or even for free) you can listen to unlimited tracks of your selection
* BBC iPlayer or You Tube - to boost the sound from your iPad or tablet

You also get a free iPhone app meaning you can control sound volume, set a equaliser, connect two together for full stereo and even have it wake you up in the morning! It becomes a clock-radio!

What's it like?
-----------------
Sound quality is simply brilliant! While I'm no audiophile, this is the 5th streaming device I've tried (see below), and sound quality is just stunning. This kicks out a great sound, and overall sound quality is near perfect. Certainly enough to fill a large room, and from a device this size - just amazing.

In terms of size and weight it's about 7 inches long and shaped roughly like a water bottle with a nice weighty feel about it - just over half a bag of sugar. Small enough to fit into a bag and carry around with you, it's also rechargeable. I've tried it out myself and found it runs for around 9-10 hours on high volume. (By which I mean HIGH VOLUME!). They claim about 15 hours - but presumably that's turned down pretty low.

In terms of connectivity, it "remembers" the last eight devices paired with it. Although the "pairing" process only takes a short time, it means once you've set it up, myself, my wife and daughter can stream music to it from their device without any further setup. It also has a handy AUX socket, meaning you can plug in an external CD or MP3 player - a nice extra. There's also a USB connection which I understand it to apply software upgrades.

In terms of style, it's pretty cool. Maybe the bright colours are a little too "obvious" for my liking, but the black works well for me.

And best of all - it's RUGGED. Comes with a D-Ring to attach to a bag, and is "water resistant". This means while you can't take is swimming - it should be fine for outdoor use (if it's caught in a light shower) or in my case - in the bathroom where humidity is a potential problem.

Oh - and one final feature (although I've not tried it yet), it seems you can use it as a speaker-phone to make phone calls. That would be a great little feature if using with an iPad or laptop to make a video call.

What's Good about it?
-----------------------------
* Stunning sound quality
* Remarkably small, but a nice weight
* Charges via a USB which means you don't need to worry about losing the cable
* Auxiliary port means you can plug in a stereo or MP3 player
* Bluetooth pairing with iPhone or Android device. Up to 8 are remembered
* It's rugged and "people" proof.
* When you can afford it - you can connect another

What's not so good?
--------------------------
* The power connector and USB cable is bright yellow. (OK. So it's a matter of taste!)

What else is available?
------------------------------
Well, as stated above, this is the FIFTH streaming speaker set I've tested or bought. Not that I'm hard to please, but at 150+ I expect these to work well and sound great. This one ticks all the boxes for me. The alternatives I've looked at are:-

* Bose Soundlink Mini. Direct competitor (same price). More restrained "Apple" brushed aluminium design and not nearly as tough (as I found out!)
* Base Soundlink III. 100 more, and maybe slightly better sound quality. The "big brother" of the Soundlink Mini. My brother has one (I plan to do a head-to-head)
* Azatom Stealth Air: A mains powered only device. Great sound and price, but this produces better sound quality, and is portable and rechargeable.
* JBL Charge Bluetooth: Another bluetooth portable speaker at around 100. Quoted battery longer at around 12 hours play-back, but both Boom and Bose beats it on sound quality and depth
* Apple TV: Great option if you have an iPhone or iPad as you can connect it to a TV and external Sound Bar or speakers. I stream music to this in the lounge (and also watch films as a bonus!).
* Sonos Range: Fantastic sound, with the ability to connect several together - but not rechargeable
* AQ Smart Speaker: Disappointing sound quality given the high price - but you can pair two portable speakers to work in stereo.

How does it compare?
-----------------------------
Having owned both a Boom and a Bose Mini, it's an obvious question - but I've not heard them both together. Having said that, I'd say the Boom wins overall on full, loud sound quality. I do agree with many other reviewers than the Bose Mini is terrific at lower volume, and but I think there's not really much between them.

The real clincher for me was the fact the Boom is designed to be used outdoors. While not a military grade tough device - it shrugs off water and dirt.

Highly Recommended.