5.0 out of 5 stars Just in case..., 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Beatles In Stereo Vinyl Box [Boxed Set] [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I'm writing this just in case anybody else has a similar problem.

After discovering a fault with one track (quite deeply ingrained scratches, possibly non-fill) - Get back on Side 4 of Past Masters - I contacted Amazon about the possibility of replacing/exchanging just the Past Masters album.
The were very helpful and, once I had pointed out that Past Masters is also sold separately to the box set, agreed to replace it.
They asked me to purchase a copy of Past Masters from them; they then altered the total cost of the order to £0.00. They did not ask me to return the faulty copy.

I was reluctant to exchange the complete box as I have had no other issue with any of the records.

So many thanks to Amazon for their exemplary customer service.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Dec 2012 22:55:37 GMT
Hi Jonathan,
I had a similar problem with my set. However, 3 lps were bad copies and warped too. Probably from bad packing and shipping.
I followed your advice and took some time explaining via there chat staff and they are sending me the 3 lps with no charge.
Very helpful and caring service reps. FYI I mentioned to the staff that the packing department needs to do a better job for these lps. Staff stated will pass it on to department and fingers crossed will get the lps in great order. Can't wait!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 23:13:13 GMT
That's good.
Amazon generally can't be faulted on their customer service (although no doubt there's someone out there willing to do so). It's interesting what you say about the packaging; I couldn't fault the packaging that my box arrived in. In fact, it crossed my mind that what with all the packaging they'd forgotten to include the box. Of course that wasn't the case.

I would imagine that the warping has come from the records being stored for a while in those silly cellophane wrappers.
As for the damaged vinyl we both experienced, I have a feeling that this wasn't a common problem in the UK. Reading the US Amazon comments, it sounds like there were terrible problems with the vinyl over there.

I hope your replacement LPs turn up in good condition. As it turns out the vinyl on my replacement was perfect. However the record sleeve and one of the inner sleeves was slightly damaged. If I had bought this record on its own then I would have returned it.
In this situation (and with the replacement being free), it wasn't a concern.

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 23:33:53 GMT
Thanks for the feedback. I am in the US and am saddened that QC here has always been an issue especially for Lps.
Always love the UK copies. Comparison is Nite and day. Since the 90's, I stopped buying domestic lps unless made by certain record plants that do care. I did compare my copy of the EU box set compared to the US. Big difference in packaging and the the actual vinyl is another topic. I told my beatlemaniac friends to order the EU copies and the extra money is well worth it.
Did the replacement vinyl you received well packed?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 23:49:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2012 23:53:19 GMT
From all the comments on the US Amazon site it sounds like you are wise to order the EU set. Do they charge you much for postage/customs charge etc?
Over the years I've bought a fair bit of US vinyl but it's been mainly second-hand 60s & 70s stuff. On the whole it's been pretty good, all things considered. Problems have only arisen when I've bought new pressings from the US. The trouble is, even with shipping and all that, US prices are hard to ignore!!

The replacement vinyl was well packaged and I suspect that the issue with the sleeves that I mentioned was 'just one of those things' that occurs in any production line.

On the whole though, just one issue with one track is really not bad for 16 discs of vinyl!

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 00:01:54 GMT
The uk copies I have purchased gets pricey on the postage not a lot on custom charges. Agreed with old
vinyl from 60s and 70s. Have bought US version from that time period and the vinyl quality is up there. Only new vinyl has been the problem hence making sure its from caring record plants. RTI and QRP here are the two that have fantastic remastered or even new heavy vinyl from newer artist. Too bad the Beatles US box set did not press there vinyl there.
Thanks again. Will post again once I receive new replacements. Cheers!

Posted on 17 Dec 2012 09:19:16 GMT
Hi,
I received the 3 LPS no problems.
No charge at all. Amazon/uk let me keep the others also.
LPs no problems at all. Now I have
a great complete box set to keep and enjoy for many years.
Anyone reading these comments hope it helps you.
Great amazon customer service!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2012 15:33:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Dec 2012 15:34:24 GMT
Steve says:
When I was an L.P. collector (I'm thinking of returning to vinyl, but that's another story), I noticed that the few US-pressed discs were of poor-to-terrible quality. The very worst was a CBS album of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring conducted by Bernstein which was on paper-thin vinyl, covered in scratches (from new), clicked and rasped almost continually and was cut at an absurdly low level. I understand that at one time many records in the US were sold on a sale or return basis so all the pressing plants were bothered about was getting as many out of the factory as possible. Some smaller US classical labels had their vinyl pressed in Europe - more expensive but much better quality.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›