5.0 out of 5 stars Bite me!................, 7 May 2009
This review is from: Twilight (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
This is YA fiction and I'm not even close to the target audience. It's been a lot of years since I belonged in the 'teen' category BUT... despite that, I loved this book! I think it might be because the 17 year old that I once was is still fresh in my mind, and if I squint when I look in the mirror I can still see her (she just got better looking over the last couple of decades *grin*).

A five star book for me is one that I have to tear myself away from and this has to be one of the better 5 star books I've read recently. I could not put it down, regardless of whether I fit in the target deomographic or not. I have no idea why I was so enamoured with this particular story but it just grabbed me, literally from the first chapter. It has it's flaws, and at times those flaws tried to pull me away from the pages while I wrestled with my beliefs but never did I feel like I couldn't go on. I'm actually mystified why this is such a great book, I wish I could put my finger on it but it escapes me. I am fond of a bit of vampire lit, it's true, but this goes beyond that....I think. I can't say the writing is superlative so it's not that.....but what is it? I wish I knew. Answers on a postcard, please.

Bella is a complete feminists' nightmare and I can see why that would put a lot of people off of her, but at 17 love is blind so I'm willing to forgive Bella on that score. Edward is so uber male that he fairly reeks testosterone and again, that may grate on some readers but lets put things in perspective, he's the ultimate predator and has had nearly a century of dominating his prey so on that score I'm willing to forgive him his overly masculine nature for now, this nurture/love thing is new for him too.....he'll get it right eventually I expect.

Ultimitely, lets not forget that this is a tale of vampire love which is aimed at teens/young adults and the usual complexities and concerns that come with real life won't apply here. I for one am glad to slip into Bella and Edward's world and remember what it was to be young and in the throes of first love. If you have an imagination and are willing to suspend your disbelief then you might enjoy this story. It's an enjoyable bit of fulff to while away a few hours/days but if your usual reading material tends to be the classics and nothing more, then you probably will feel the need to return here with you own 1 or 2 star review.

I have books 2, 3 and 4 lined up here, ready to devour and if they go as quickly as Twilight then I'll have completed all 4 in about 3 more days. I want to tell everyone to read this as I loved it so much, but I realise that everyone has different tastes so all I can recommend is that you read the reviews and make your own mind up from there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-27 of 27 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2011 21:57:07 BDT
My main problem with the book is how incredibly whiny and irritating Bella is... yeah, Edward the stalker boyfriend disturbs me, but honestly I almost feel like anyone who stuck with Bella for four books of her whining, griping and wingeing deserves a medal.

Posted on 21 Feb 2012 19:02:21 GMT
J. Griggs says:
Although I appear to be significantly late becoming a 'Twilighter' I have recently just completed the fourth book (read all 4 in 3 and a half days) I was so engrossed in the story that I survived on 3 hours sleep for two nights (with a toddler waking at 6 in the morning, I might add) because I simply could not put the book down. It physically pained me to put the book down and, had my husband not yelled at me, I don't think I would have gone to sleep at all.
As a playwright myself I have to agree that the writing is not going to have Chaucer or Shakespeare turning in their graves but, at times their writing also left something to be desired. It's the story that pulls you towards it, the romance is astounding; I actually got quite moody with my husband because he wasn't as romantic and engrossed in me as these two 'males' were in Bella. Quite sad really considering they're not real people and, let's face it, I should be more accustomed to identifying fiction from reality, haha.
I, too, find myself in the late twenties category and definitely not within the demographic this book is intended for, that did not change the fact that these books were a wonderful read.
My only wish, besides wishing that someone like Edward existed and was as besotted with me (it's ok, my husband won't read this, haha), is that I hadn't seen the film before I read the book because I could not shake the image of Robert Pattinson from my mind as I imagined Edward and I do not find the skinny guy very attractive which was annoying.
Sure, Bella is a little whiny and very self-centred but, then again, at 17, I can wholeheartedly say that I was more in love with myself than anyone else so I suppose I saw myself in that whiny, over analysing, petulant child.
More than anything, I wish that Midnight Sun had been completed; by far and wide Edward was my favourite character and I so wanted to read his perspective of things, especially the Breaking Dawn book; I would have preferred Edward's perspective to Jacob's, never really took to him.
I really think that, as much as the author has really had enough of these characters, I would love to know what happens to them now. I don't feel it ended naturally, almost like an anti-climax to the events that preceded the end.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2012 19:16:28 GMT
J. Griggs says:
However, I'd be willing to bet a sum of money that a good percentage of these people on this anti twilight site have either not read any of the books or have only seen the movie and based a biased opinion on this. From what I've read on there it stands to me that these people are gravitating away from the commercialism of the whole Twilight saga. I'm not likely to walk around wearing the merchandise that is sold but, as an adult, with an individual taste for what I like, and not much of an interest in what other people say I should or shouldn't like, I would not visit a forum or a site dedicated to saying I really dislike lettuce. I do really hate lettuce but why waste the effort on declaring my distain for it?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2012 19:20:05 GMT
J. Griggs says:
I was right there on the forest floor whilst reading New Moon, my 'perfect' soul mate having left me because he was "no good for me".
Funny how relateable it is.

Posted on 4 Mar 2012 18:35:28 GMT
B.W.V.G.N says:
This is rubbish. 'First Love'. There is no love in this book! There's no real reason for these two people to be 'in love' with each other.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 13:52:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 May 2012 13:52:22 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:
I haven't read all the books, nor will I ever, but your arguments are solid and I agree with you 100%.

There is so much wrong with Meyer's books I'm not sure where to begin. I fear for the 12 year old girls reading this and thinking this is how true love should be.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2014 01:45:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Mar 2014 01:48:34 GMT
The main difference between this book and lettuce is that lettuce is potentially good for you.

I find it hilarious anyone can accuse Twilight haters or detractors of "just not wanting to be mainstream". There are myriad sites, blogs etc out there with many many examples of stuff in these books which is actually, demonstrably badly written (as in, not making grammatical sense, and also in terms of heavy handed foreshadowing and badly shaped plot arcs) or is simply appalling on a deeper level in terms of what the writing implies.

Meyer makes it clear on her website that she believes Edward - the century old vampire obsessing over a seventeen year old, stalking her, stealing the frigging engine from her car, deliberately putting her in danger, and so on and so on - is the perfect romantic hero, outstripping any number of heroes from some if the great literary romance. That anyone, never mind teenaged girls, is buying into the premise that the perfect man is a dangerous, controlling, abusive stalker, and that blind infatuation and lust after a dozen words of conversation is "true love", is frightening.

Bella is truly awful, and Edward is a character who doesn't, after a century of life on the planet, know how to treat her as anything other than a possession. This ain't no love story of the ages, this is disturbing.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,612 customer reviews)
 (1,176)