5.0 out of 5 stars Bite me!................, 7 May 2009
This review is from: Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
This is YA fiction and I'm not even close to the target audience. It's been a lot of years since I belonged in the 'teen' category BUT... despite that, I loved this book! I think it might be because the 17 year old that I once was is still fresh in my mind, and if I squint when I look in the mirror I can still see her (she just got better looking over the last couple of decades *grin*).

A five star book for me is one that I have to tear myself away from and this has to be one of the better 5 star books I've read recently. I could not put it down, regardless of whether I fit in the target deomographic or not. I have no idea why I was so enamoured with this particular story but it just grabbed me, literally from the first chapter. It has it's flaws, and at times those flaws tried to pull me away from the pages while I wrestled with my beliefs but never did I feel like I couldn't go on. I'm actually mystified why this is such a great book, I wish I could put my finger on it but it escapes me. I am fond of a bit of vampire lit, it's true, but this goes beyond that....I think. I can't say the writing is superlative so it's not that.....but what is it? I wish I knew. Answers on a postcard, please.

Bella is a complete feminists' nightmare and I can see why that would put a lot of people off of her, but at 17 love is blind so I'm willing to forgive Bella on that score. Edward is so uber male that he fairly reeks testosterone and again, that may grate on some readers but lets put things in perspective, he's the ultimate predator and has had nearly a century of dominating his prey so on that score I'm willing to forgive him his overly masculine nature for now, this nurture/love thing is new for him too.....he'll get it right eventually I expect.

Ultimitely, lets not forget that this is a tale of vampire love which is aimed at teens/young adults and the usual complexities and concerns that come with real life won't apply here. I for one am glad to slip into Bella and Edward's world and remember what it was to be young and in the throes of first love. If you have an imagination and are willing to suspend your disbelief then you might enjoy this story. It's an enjoyable bit of fulff to while away a few hours/days but if your usual reading material tends to be the classics and nothing more, then you probably will feel the need to return here with you own 1 or 2 star review.

I have books 2, 3 and 4 lined up here, ready to devour and if they go as quickly as Twilight then I'll have completed all 4 in about 3 more days. I want to tell everyone to read this as I loved it so much, but I realise that everyone has different tastes so all I can recommend is that you read the reviews and make your own mind up from there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jun 2009 05:04:53 BDT
Absolutley brilliant balanced review as they come! Thank you!

Posted on 22 Jun 2009 23:30:05 BDT
Jayne says:
I am beginning to think this book appeals to the older generation more than the younger one! I am 30 *cough* *cough* years old and I bought the book because the cover appealed to me, and I heard there was a film out. I didn't realise it was aimed at young adults (I am a young adult really). I read it really fast and like most readers, wanted to slap Bella on occasion but got caught up in the story and I actually thought it was very well written, then I watched the film and now I am waiting for New Moon to arrive. I agree with your review wholeheartedly! I think some of the one star reviews are way too harsh - after all, all those hundreds of people who gave it four or five stars cannot be wrong! I think it's a case of sour grapes personally. Four bestsellers and a movie deal? I think Stephenie has done exceptionally well and deserves her success!

Posted on 14 Jul 2009 16:50:13 BDT
Hannah says:
Even though I completely disagree that this book is worth five stars, this is a really good, balanced review. There's such a lot of conflict over this book and it's good that a review like this is the first one potential buyers see.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2009 16:58:08 BDT
Hannah says:
"I think some of the one star reviews are way too harsh - after all, all those hundreds of people who gave it four or five stars cannot be wrong!"
Right... because we live in a world where the majority is always correct. Remember how everyone used to believe the world was flat?

"I think it's a case of sour grapes personally."
Yes, that's right - every single detractor of this series (and they number in their thousands, by the way) is just jealous. That's why we target Meyer and not someone like J.K. Rowling, who is ten times more successful than Meyer in terms of sales alone. Flawless logic all round.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2009 02:49:27 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2009 20:51:19 BDT
Hannah says:
In what universe would you ever expect that you're going to be listened to when you order someone, incredibly rudely, to leave a neutral, open forum which you don't moderate or maintain?

There's a pretty big difference between giving an honest, well-reasoned negative opinion and either spreading hate or trolling. Could you learn it before accusing me of either of the latter two, please?

Posted on 10 Aug 2009 22:42:21 BDT
B. Lindgren says:
You are absolutely right. It baffles me that I was so completely sucked in, because let's face it, the writing wasn't memorable, the characters were pretty annoying at times and the whole silver ring thing kind of virtue was nauseating - but yet I loved the whole saga and read it all in 3-4 days. It's magical! :)

Posted on 14 Aug 2009 20:02:59 BDT
Yes, Hannah, the majority issue example is flawed but the world-flat-concept was because of an opinion of natural science not of whether they enjoyed a book.

Posted on 19 Aug 2009 22:36:58 BDT
S. Senior says:
I would just like to say that i have just finished reading the whole saga, and now feel that my life is at a bit of a loss without the wonderful world of Bella and Edward. I totally fell in love with this book and i am in my twenties. Your comment captured exactly how i felt and im glad im not the only one out there phew!

Posted on 23 Sep 2009 00:36:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Sep 2009 00:37:14 BDT
Bianca says:
I agree with you, and S.Senior! Ok so it's not THE most unique story in a very saturated genre, but I too was drawn to this story purely because the front covers caught my attention. And also the whole romance thing was like a drug to me, I was so addicted I read the whole saga within a month or so! Lol. Nothing new but I must confess, it held my attention from page one in the first book to the last page in book four. Now I'm trying to find a replacement for the saga while I wait for Stephenie Meyer's next story (The Host doesn't quite capture my interest in the same way). Maybe it might seem to appeal to older readers because... we secretly want a hot boyfriend like Edward too?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,696 customer reviews)
 (1,251)

£8.99 £5.99
Reviewer

Stella
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: UK