7 of 10 people found the following review helpful
Poor release of good movie,
This review is from: What's Eating Gilbert Grape [DVD] (DVD)
I will not speak about the movie itself but this release (from "optimum Releasing" (OPTD1421), single disc, region 2/UK, 2008) :
- The image quality is disappointing, lots of grains, blurs and the like. Apparently no remastering/cleaning whatsoever has been done with the film. This is a shame because there are some astonishing shots in the movie.
- There is only one audio track, English, in stereo 2.0 only. Agreed, this is a common issue for cheap releases and indeed, this movie does not have a lot of scenes that would require 2.1/5.1 but nevertheless - every new Hitcock release sounds better than this. Also because:
- The sound mixing is pretty poor. At a number of times the music and or background noise is making it difficult to focus on the dialogues of the protagonists. Which makes it even more shameful that:
- There is absolutely NO subtitle track. IF YOU ARE HEARING IMPAIRED: DONT BUY THIS!
- There are no extras except for the release trailer.
All in all, this is a poor release of a good movie and you should think twice before buying it, despite the low price.
If you manage(d) to set your DVD player to regionfree, you should definitely go for the US REGION 1 SPECIAL EDITION.
It has more extras, much improved picture quality, English subtitles and a 5.1 track.