Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, flexible, lots of options **updated**, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Samsung WD0804W8E 1400rpm 8kg Eco Bubble Washer Dryer - White (Misc.)
This is a first impressions review, I've only had this washer dryer for three days so far.

I needed a new one after my old Whirlpool washer dryer started making terrible sounds finally the bearing went. Also it hadn't been drying properly for a number of weeks.

I spent a couple of days researching washer dryers online. I didn't want to pay a huge amount of money but also I didn't want something cheap that wouldn't last very long. Also I like my technology so I wanted a machine that employed some of the latest advancements. This machine seem to tick all the boxes on top of that it has a 10 year warranty on the motor and at the moment a five year warranty on the machine.

The installation was pretty painless it just went in exactly the same space with the same connections that my old machine did. Some people have complained that the washer is slightly deeper than the stated 60 cm I can confirm this is the case It is in fact about 64 cm deep with all the protrusions.

My first impressions are that this is a very quiet machine not just during the drying cycle but also during the washing cycles as well. I have tried a few of the many washing cycles including the 15 minute wash the day wash and the cotton wash. All produced good results and I combined the cotton wash with a full automatic drying cycle. I was pleasantly surprised that after the allotted time, some four hours and 20 minutes! My load came out nice and dry and ready tov put away. The machine does spends about a minute weighing your washing before attempting any cycle that has a drying phase attached to it. Although you can choose to ignore this with either a manual drying time in increments of 30 minutes, an ironing programme where it leaves your washing slightly damp, or a low temperature drying programme. I have found that sometimes in the auto drying program it does under estimate the drying time required at the beginning of the cycle Which means the countdown timer stays on one minute for up to 15 minutes so that it can finish the drying.

Like all new pieces of technology I find myself using this more often than I needed to for example over the last few days I have used it to wash six loads of washing, normally in a whole week I've only wash two loads.

As yet I have not silenced the slightly odd chiming sound that the washer makes every time you select a programme and when it finishes. Although turning the noise off seems very simple.

I haven't really found a problem with this machine and it does seem very energy-efficient especially with the bubble mode turned on. The only little niggle I have found so far is that if you use a gel based Liquid detergent it doesn't really work very well in the drawer. Samsung, in the manual, advise against using a ball directly in the drum. I tried it on one wash and it does make quite a racket so have reverted to adding gel into the drawer. I would warn against using the included liquid detergent drop-in adapter in the drawer and advise that people should just add gel straight into the compartment. You get some residue left sometimes but it seems the best option.

I will add more to this review as I get more experience with this machine.

Time for another load...

About 10 days later... I notice you don't see many suds but it doesn't seem to adversely affect how clean the washing is. Also you have to turn the machine off between programmes, just something to note. I do like the auto off feature as well. It's quite a lot quieter than my previous 1200 spin machine even at 1400.

**update** About 4 weeks later

So today I put in a single bathmat in the quick wash cycle and I noticed something. The drum wouldn't spin properly at the end of the cycle. No matter what spin speed I tried I couldn't get it to work, the count down timer would stick on 3 mins on the quick cycle and 10 mins if I tried a separate spin cycle. I thought the thing was broken and then something struck me, how heavy was that mat when wet? I. Took it out, it was soaking wet and you know what, the machine was protecting itself. It has realised with a heavy uneven load that it would create strain on the mechanism. I then put it through a drying cycle, problem solved! Clever

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Dec 2013 17:30:20 GMT
regarding the 4 week update How exactly did you get all the water out of the bath mat? I am considering purchasing this product and would be alarmed that if it wouldn't spin my bathmat alone, would it spin it with a couple of towels.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2013 17:36:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Dec 2013 17:37:45 GMT
I put it through a drying cycle. As a matter of interest I washed a bath mat with some towels just the other day and it worked fine it was just having a heavy uneven load the caused the machine not to spin.

Posted on 15 Jun 2014 19:46:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2014 19:47:24 BDT
CAG says:
I have just bought this machine and am confused as to what detergent to use, the manual says not to put dosing ball in the drum but all the bottles of gel I can find say not to put the gel in the drawer. I am struggling to find a liquid detergent rather than a gel detergent. What do you use please?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2014 21:31:34 BDT
I use Ariel Excel gel directly into the drawer. Without the drop in liquid adapter. Not had any issues at all

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2014 20:47:35 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Jul 2014 20:47:47 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2014 20:48:10 BDT
Does it still come out as fresh and clean when you do this?

Posted on 25 Sep 2014 13:34:07 BDT
Miss says:
Hi you said it came with the 5 year warranty did you have any trouble registering that warranty?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2014 15:08:13 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2014 15:09:39 GMT
No, in fact I needed to use it the other week when I had problems with knocking noises coming from the machine.

Easy to arrange repair and good service, the problem was a loose counterweight.

Posted on 28 Jan 2015 13:22:20 GMT
I have had the same problem with the 15 minute wash. I put trousers in and it got stuck at 2 mins and wouldn't finish the cycle. I then put it off and tried the spin cycle and the machine worked fine. I like this machine as it doesn't have too many programmes which are surplus to requirements. I also like the 5 year warranty which gives peace of mind.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›