5.0 out of 5 stars It makes housework *almost* enjoyable, 18 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Polti Vaporello 950 Steam Cleaner, White (Kitchen & Home)
I hate housework: no sooner have you cleaned up when the family comes in and messes up again; it seems so pointless. However, in the interests of basic hygiene, I decided to try a steam cleaner (I have a bad back, neck and paralysed arm which makes housework difficult, tiring & painful).

This model seemed to have the best reviews, so I bought a 2nd hand one from eBay, and I LOVE it. It heats up quickly and lasts for at least one room before the tank needs refilling (I guess an hour? That's as much housework as I can manage in one go anyway).
I found the brushes & cloths & different heads a bit fiddly and not-so-good, so I tend to just blast a bit of hot steam at the dirt and immediately wipe with a clean dry cloth.

It's been really good for our carpets & sofas: we have free-ranging parrots, and they poop everywhere. A quick blast, wipe with a dry cloth and it's gone. No harmful sprays (household cleaners are dangerous to pet birds). The steam really brings up the pile on carpets too, making them look newer and fresher.

For hard floors, I cut up some old towels (thanks to the other reviewers for that tip), which clip onto the head. The clip doesn't hold the cloths as tight as I'd like, so I sometimes use rubber (pony-tail) bands for a better fit.
I get through about 3 cloths doing the kitchen floor, because they get wet pretty quickly. You're supposed to do the first blast into the sink to get water out of the tube, but I never remember to.

It's great for mirrors & windows, just be careful to follow the instructions if using hot steam on cold glass, to avoid cracking. I'm going to use it to clean up the greenhouse and the rabbit hutch too (the boiling steam will kill bugs & pests in cracks in the wood).

I haven't totally given up the cleaning fluids (I still need something for limescale on the taps: white vinegar is what I've always used for all cleaning jobs, the smell goes after about 15 mins).

There's nothing I don't like about it: the cord is a bit short, so I just use an extension cable.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]