5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by a champion over Bowflex & Powerblock, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bodymax Selectabell Dumbbell Pair 5kg - 32.5kg (11lb-71lb) (Misc.)
The 5 stars here refer to the fact that I love this set of weight, rather than it being a 5 star product - because they're not... There are still ways they could be improved, but overall I do love them.

They have shaved a lot of time of my work outs and, especially if you're doing something like P90X or circuit training, you can expect to save a lot of time because you won't constantly be changing plates.

The weight change mechanism is simple and relatively safe to use... Although this is perhaps the one area the weights could be improved.

The mechanism is plastic and would be better if it was slightly more solid but it doesn't feel to flimsy - the inner working of it are metal at least, it's just the dials which are not.

Weights are selected by depressing a little red button on each dumbell and turning the dial to the desired weight. The total weight is clearly marked, making selection easy, and I think this is a better system than on. Som either selectable dumbells (although I've never used them myself) like the pullout bars on powerblocks and the latch system on other sets.

You also get a good range of weight with these dumbells going all the way up to 32KG. That's significantly more than other sets and works out a lot cheaper than, say, buying a set of stage 1 and stage 2 Powerblocks. The weight increments that are selectable are listed for you at the bottom of this review.

I like the look of them too. They are a kind of copy of the Bowflex weights, but again I think these are slightly better because although they might not look quite as cool they are actually better quality and better to use. I say this because they are a bit shorter in length than the Boxflex weights and the plates are made from metal not plastic.

Some minor problems with them I have encountered are:

The dumbells turning themselves upside down when used on their lowest setting. That's because, at 5KGs, there is no plate on the weight - you are in effect just using the handles - and these are slightly top heavy due to the selectabell mechanism, so have a tendency to flip round on you.

The plates do rattle a little, but I don't really mind this and much prefer it to the old problem I had which was collars coming lose mid set. Also the trays the weights sit in are plastic which feels a bit cheap... It keeps weight and cost down though I suppose.

Although there is a good range of weights I would have liked to have seen a little more range between the range if you will - for instance, at the lower end of the spectrum the settings jump from 12.5kg to 15kg which is quite a lot... It would have been nice to have the options of slightly smaller increments between weights.

The weights do get stuck every now and then when going in and out of the plate tray, but this is easily overcome with a little wiggling and the more you use them and become familiar with them, the less this happens: it's a matter of technique.

On the plus side though, the dumbell handles feel just right. They are a nice size to wrap your hand around and have rubber detailing to aid grip too. Also, a neat little design feature is the flat bottom edge to the weights - this means they stay in place and don't roll off when placed on the ground.

The weights are best combined with the weight stand but that's sold separately. However, I was lucky enough to get mine as a bundle from a friend who is a championship body builder and owns a fitness shop, and it was on his advice that I got these. I had done a lot of research on the subject of selectable weights as they ain't cheap and I must say I found the choice perplexing.

On the one hand I liked the look of the Bowflex but heard they could be awkward to use and the Powerblocks could get expensive when you start going up in weight... In the end I decided on a set of Powerblocks so went to him to buy them and he said that, out of all of them in his shop, he would recommend these.

He said, they are heavier, better quality, easier to use and that they would be his recommendation. I must say that so far I am very pleased I took his advice. The look great, are nice to use and have reduced my workout time significantly -- or rather, reduced the amount of time spent screwing and unscrewing collars and changing plates significantly, allowing me to keep up the work rate and concentrate on the task at hand - busting out reps!

Selectable weight increments:

32kg

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jul 2013 21:29:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jul 2013 21:30:00 BDT
The Swan says:
Great review. As a current powerblock owner and weighing up my future options, you provided me with all the info I need to make a decision. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2013 04:01:17 BDT
The Truth says:
No problem Swan - glad it helped :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2013 12:17:06 GMT
Great review. I'm not buying this particular set but your review was very useful, especially listing the weight increments. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2013 23:07:40 GMT
The Truth says:
Good, glad it was of some help. Thanks for commenting and hope you're happy with the pair you purchase.

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 13:03:48 GMT
hfffoman says:
It's a pleasure to read a really well informed considered review.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 16:25:47 GMT
The Truth says:
Thanks Hfffoman - I hope it was of some help. It's a huge chunk of change to spend on some weights so you need to make sure you buy the right set.

Posted on 27 Feb 2014 13:38:47 GMT
Thanks a lot for the review. I'm just about to start P90x and I have a mat and a bar but no weights yet. If I fork out the cash then I guess there's no turning back. Just about to order them and your listing of the weight increments was indeed also very useful. It's about time I started contributing more reviews - and I'm sure this will get another 5* when I receive it :)

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2014 14:21:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Mar 2014 14:23:53 GMT
The Truth says:
These will make such a difference to your workout - especially if you're doing P90X.

P90X workouts are roughly an hour but they have the type of free weights you see down the gym that they can just grab; they don't ave to change plates, and you will.

You'll find yourself pausing and unpausing the DVD and screwing and unscrewing your collars at the end of every exercise, adding about another 30mins to your workout.

With these you can keep up with the DVD no problem. P90X is tough enough and any obstacles you can eliminate from your path is recommended - these do that.

Enjoy!

PS: don't over do it. P90X is a marathon - not a sprint. Every time I've done it I've pushed too hard and injured myself. You don't have to go full-throttle, eat right and the results will come. Good luck, funnily enough I'm starting another round on Monday.

Posted on 23 Jul 2014 08:58:59 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Nov 2014 23:57:37 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (36 customer reviews)

£449.99 £299.99