ARRAY(0xac47d510)

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected, But Still Not A Great Album, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: Different Gear, Still Speeding (Audio CD)
I was once one of the biggest Oasis fans on the planet. I adored the first three albums, and the fifth album (Heathen Chemistry) also holds some great memories for me. However, after that I felt they lost something, and the final two albums were uninspired, lazy, and just plain boring. In terms of musicianship, this was probably the era in which they possessed the most talent, with Gem Archer and Andy Bell in the band. Despite some tight playing, strong production, and decent-ish songs, the records just left me feeling cold. A band that once had so much swagger, raw attitude, and just genuinely brilliant songs, had run out of steam and were simply going through the motions.

When Liam announced that he and the majority of the late band members were going out on their own straight away, part of me thought okay, this could be interesting. Another part if me thought, right, more of the same then. And when Liam came out with his predictable "we're the best band in the world at them moment, no doubt about it" rubbish, I virtually lost all hope. Hearing the first single did little to reignite my interest. It isn't bad, but it just sounds like Liam trying really hard to sound like he isn't trying really hard to play straight-up rock 'n' roll.... if that makes sense.

Still, I had to give the album a chance, and I'm glad I did. Yes, at times he appears to cringingly rip-off the likes of The Who and John Lennon, but not all the time. Some of the songs have far more freshness and bite than anything released by Oasis in the last 6 years, and the musicianship, as expected, is fantastic.

Those who enjoyed Oasis' later material will love this record, and younger listeners who perhaps aren't blinded by the nostalgia of the Gallagher brothers' former brilliance will also probably accept DG,SS as the enjoyable rock album that it is.

As I said previously, I expected Liam to fail to back up his self-generated ego and deliver an uninspired, dull, derivative record. I am delighted that what he has actually come up with is a gutsy and fun album.

However, for me it's got three stars written all over it. Why? Quite simply, although it is solid, it does not have one 'wow' moment, and as a whole, bears no real incentive for me to ever run to the CD shelves, pluck it out, and stick it on. Beady Eye have promise. But sadly, I will probably not play the album again until the weeks leading up to an inevitable second LP, which of course, I will await with interest.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jun 2011 01:34:23 BDT
MDD says:
This is probably the best review I've read on Amazon. It helps that I agree wholeheartedly with it, but it is incredibly unbiased. It doesn't veer off into the deluded Oasis fanboy who claims that it's the best record ever made, neither do you veer off into the unfair, harsh narrow minded criticisms of those who hate Oasis and refuse to give them any credit they deserve.

Posted on 19 Jun 2011 04:28:57 BDT
J. Healey says:
I agree with you, I found Don't Beleive the Truth to be a massive let down and dissapointment, some of the songs on Dig Out Your Soul reminded you of Oasis, The Masterplan album, and around that time...which was good, but the rest of the album as a whole just was lacking alot.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›