4.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Heavy Metal Music (Audio CD)
This album is so refreshing, Jason has looked backwards in order to go forwards with this release. It's all here , Double kick drums, Distorted Bass, huge guitars (solo's & catchy melodies). Jason's voice is as good as the metal EP hinted at. This album doesn't drag, there aren't any album fillers or half assed songs here. It's simply an old school metal feel that's been dragged in to the modern day, all of the songs on here are allowed to breathe & you can here everything that is going on. This is hands down the best mixed album I have heard in a long time, it doesn't have all of the other issues like Death Magnetic (terrible mix)did. The production & mixing are 1st class making this an album that doesn't hurt your ears like a lot of recent releases have.

This album has been played on my home stereo, in my car, on my mp3 player & phone, It sounds great on all of these systems & that's good enough for me. This is a great 1st album & hopefully Newsted will go onto make better albums, as for a 5 star album it's good but not a out and out classic. Too many people just say 5 star to everything (how can you compare this to Master of Puppets, Blood Mountain, The Blackening, or any other albums that where way above anything else).

With the quality of song writing here from Jason it makes you wonder, what if metallica had actually written more with Jason,
how would things have turned out ? we'll never know the answer to that one & judging by this album it doesn't matter. Jason is back doing what he does best & that's all that matters.

If you like Heavy Metal Music then you should add this to your collection as it simply is... Heavy Metal Music

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Aug 2013 11:57:19 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Aug 2013 15:56:03 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2013 14:45:05 BDT
Aleutia says:
Simply saying dislike doesn't say much does it. If you disagree then at least back it up with some sort of comment

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2013 14:51:05 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Aug 2013 15:56:09 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2013 13:37:12 BDT
Enid Blyton says:
I liked your review. Told me all I needed to know to go take a listen and then buy it. Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2013 12:48:29 BDT
Rachel C says:
I didn't read the 5 star thing that way, I do agree with Aleutia that too many people give out 5 stars without thinking is it really worth it? You gave a long review and obviously loved the album and all the tracks in it. My own opinion is similar to Aleutia's, it is a great start and does make you think, what might have been had Jason not left Metallica and actually been given the chance to write more? I think 4 out of 5 is about right, it isn't quite a 5 but watch this space because Newsted definitely has a platinum 5* album in them. Too many times, people do give everything new a 5 star rating, that was not in my opinion a knock at you, you think it is a 5 star and you explained in great detail why but not everyone will feel the same and not every comment has to be about you.

In answer to your quote about more detail, longer and better, I think most of us see a long review and if we only have a few minutes, skip it and move onto a more concise review. I thank you for the detail as it is interesting but less is sometimes more and personally if I am ever going to review an album, I would wrap it up in a few paragraphs rather than writing a complete essay on it.

All in all, don't get paranoid about a comment made by another person and assume it is about you. I have seem many 5 star reviews for albums that are pretty mediocre, I see both your points of view as you loved it as opposed to Aleutia who liked it a lot. Your dislike comes across as largely childish and disrespectful as let's face it, you both agree that it is a great (or really good) album, how can you dislike a comment from someone who agrees with you on most things apart from one star out of five?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2013 13:14:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Aug 2013 13:18:28 BDT
Aleutia says:
I really don't feel the need to explain myself over my review but Nicholas seeing as you seem to have a real problem with my comments I feel I sadly have to.

In regard to the 5 star ditty (as you put it) This is in no way about your review in any shape at all. I look on here frequently & see pretty much every new album having loads of 5 star reviews. As an example I'll say the New 30 Seconds to Mars release... Now this was given loads of 5 star reviews upon day of release by various reviewers (all of whom are entitled to their opinions), for me however it was a good album but not as good as previous albums & I gave it a 4 star (it's my opinion & that's all it is, my opinion). The new Alice in Chains album is the same it's a great album but it's not outstanding so I view it as a 4 star.

As I said I really enjoyed the album & I wanted to offer a different style of review compared to yours. I did not see the need to write such a big in depth review, as you had already done a good job of covering every track & to do something exactly the same would be well... pretty pointless.

To say " my review is more detailed, longer and better than yours" really comes across as pretty childish. I never realised I was meant to be in some sort of journalism competition with you over this :-( .

If I want to write 3 paragraphs to sum up my opinion of an album then that is my choice not yours. I've read plenty of album reviews in the likes of Metal Hammer that have been summed up in the same amount of space. I've seen someone else sum this album up in less than 3 paragraphs (maybe you should take personal offence at their review & have a go at them for not agreeing 100% to your opinion). At the end of the day you like the album I like the album & that is all that should matter as not every review is about you.

I've said more than I wanted to & I'm disappointed that you took a comment in no way aimed at you so personally. Please just draw a line under it as you have an opinion & that's fine & I have an opinion & that's fine as well.

As they say opinions are like ......... everyone has one :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2013 13:19:12 BDT
Thanks :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2013 23:57:06 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Aug 2013 15:56:20 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 07:05:15 BDT
Mr. Joye says:
oooo i'm better than you , wtf

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 18:31:34 BDT