1.0 out of 5 stars PLASTIC Jar!!, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil 800 g (Grocery)
I always use Biona coconut oil, but have bought the 400g size until now. I was SO disappointed to find that this 800g size comes in a plastic jar. So I'll be going back to the smaller sized, glass jars. Plastic chemicals are much more likely to leach in to foods with a high fat content, and so in my opinion, this packaging changes a fabulously healthy product in to something to be avoided. A great shame.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Feb 2013 20:36:07 GMT
I really appreciate this comment as I am trying to eliminate the use of plastics with food.

Posted on 22 Apr 2013 10:52:20 BDT
Shelley says:
I emailed Biona and they replied that their plastic jar for this product does NOT contain BPA. Hope that helps.

Posted on 23 May 2013 10:32:26 BDT
Hi.............I have been using Biona coconut oil now for some years, and have got most of Bruce Fife's books , very impressive, especially the two coconut oil cures book, and Oil Pulling.

Coconut Oil is a 'must' in our household since it is a medium chain fatty acid , and therein lies the difference.

Now , I too was disappointed with the 800gm plactic jars. All plactics leach/gas chemicals = phthalates = and they get stored in our adipose (fat) cells and so can do harm to the organism accummulatively, until the immune system fails to cope with the toxic load.

Amazing books to find out more in re this are: Sherry Rogers M.D. "Toxic or Tired" as well as "Detoxify or Die"...............and plastics are phenolics / polystyrene / ABS....so I am also going for glass jars.

Would love to get to the point where I can make my own from green coconuts :) = not there as yet.

Monica Ledlie, PDNN.mFNTP,mGRCCT = Practitioner of the Art of Natural Nutrition

Posted on 28 May 2013 22:30:16 BDT
Patty Pickle says:
I agree totally. I also am disappointed particularly as I have purchased this size in a glass jar before and am now finding it harder to find. Why do "organic" companies even use plastic unless it is fully biodegradable? I am using bar shampoos now but would really like most of all to keep plastic away from my foods. I used to warm up the jar to get the last of the coconut oil out easily - can't do that with the plastic.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2013 02:20:03 BDT
Flora Cake says:
I must be in a minority when I say: it doesn't bother me at all!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2013 13:55:41 BDT
Some companies substitute BPA for something else equally bad or worse. I would think that this is less of an issue with a hard jar and a cold product contained within.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2013 21:53:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Oct 2013 21:54:56 BDT
maureen says:
This is referring to Flora Cake's review.....
I would kind of be with your opinion here on these coconut oil reviews, is it cause we dont understand to much about chemicals that perhaps are in plastic, Im unsure.
I would never have given an issue over glass vs plastic, but when you read the other comments made, makes you wonder doesnt it?
Are they right, is it still all good within the plastic jar, im unsure now to order it.
I think I'll prob just go ahead and order it even so.
Nice to know someone else is on my wavelength at least. Thanks. Maureen.

Posted on 23 Oct 2013 14:07:58 BDT
I too will be looking to buy my coconut oil from a glass container, perhaps if enough people decided to do this , and comment about why, Biona might decide to change their packaging to what their customers want!

Posted on 5 Nov 2013 14:40:04 GMT
haseena says:
Ludicrous to spoil such a great product with a plastic container. I was about to email this seller to find out if the packaging was plastic, so thanks for flagging up this point. I'm not willing to buy this as it's packaged in plastic instead of glass, even if it saves a bit of money.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2013 01:25:57 GMT
maureen says:
I have recently purchased a coconut oil same as this only the one I got is in a glass jar.
If you are still looking for this item, and want the details just ask.
Maureen.