5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Brother HL-2250DN Compact Network Mono Laser Printer with Auto Duplex (Personal Computers)
I bought this printer after carefully looking at reviews for similar laser printers. For a network ready printer with a print speed of over 20 pages per minute and with an auto duplexer, there was nothing else that came close in the price range.

Installation of the printer was very simple. Unlike other reviewers, I had no problem setting it up on the network. In fact it was as simple as connecting the network cable to my router and installing the driver software on my laptop. The software proceeded to find the printer, and a few minutes later I was printing fine. I have added the printer on two Windows 7 laptops and a Windows XP PC, and all are able to print over the network with no problems. There are also Linux and Mac drivers on the Brother website, although I have not tried these. Just to be very clear, this printer only supports wired networks as it does not have built in wifi. However you could, for instance, connect it to a powerline network using the appropriate powerline product.

As others have noted, the printer is fairly noisy when printing, although not particularly louder than other laser printers I have used, and certainly not something that I find to be a problem. When printing, the printer uses up to around 500W of power, but after a few minutes it goes to sleep. In sleep mode, it uses less than 1W of power (0.6W according to my power meter) and is completely silent. As soon as someone prints over the network, it automatically wakes up from sleep mode and begins printing.

The "starter" toner cartridge that the printer is supplied with has enough toner for 700 sheets according to the manual (I can't verify this as mine hasn't run out yet). There are two replacement cartridges available - TN 2210 has enough toner for 1,200 sheets and TN 2220 has enough for 2,600 sheets. The latter high yield cartridge is available online for around 50, so cartridges are not the cheapest of any laser printer, but also far from the most expensive. There is a separate drum which apparently has to be changed after around 12,000 pages and costs about 60 online. As with nearly all printers, it is not supplied with a cable, so you will need to buy either a USB or LAN cable, depending on how you intend to use it.

Finally, it's worth noting that at the time of writing there is a free three year warranty promotion on Brother's website, which is valid until the end of March 2012. It is worth checking the latest promotions on the Brother website to see what promotions are available and to obtain the promotion code you will need when registering the product.

All in all, I am very happy with this printer, which was a bargain for the price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Feb 2012 13:10:33 GMT
maharGharaS says:
Thanks for this helpful review & the heads-up on the Brother promotion, details of which are to be found here: http://www.brother.co.uk/g3.cfm/s_page/259470/s_name/latestpromotions

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012 20:48:47 GMT
Tech savvy says:
Sir/Madam, I wondered if you could confirm whether Brother honoured the 3 yr warranty promotion. On its website it stated it may not for all internet purchases. Also, does the product ship with a UK spec power plug as another reviewer of a similar Brother printer, claimed they didn't ?
Thanks in advance
Nisaar

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012 21:30:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Mar 2012 21:31:21 GMT
maharGharaS says:
The Brother website accepted my details & confirmed it as an Amazon purchase & said that it was a 3-year warranty extension - I printed out the page.
The plug is indeed a UK one.
The printer works well, but it is noisy, as others have said.
I hope this is helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2012 22:01:41 BDT
Tech savvy says:
Thanks v much.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Aug 2012 11:52:22 BDT
Tony says:
ive tried to registry mine, but the code wont get accepted. is asking me for a serial number with a specific match pattern, but when i try any of the codes in the printer, none of them get accepted.

Posted on 14 Sep 2012 07:56:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Sep 2012 08:03:52 BDT
Hi there, I am thinking of buying this printer as my current epson printer is giving me problems. I was wondering if your printer is still working fine and also what toner do you recommend? Do you use brother original toner or third party brand and can you verify approximately how many A4 sheets your able to print? Many thanks

Posted on 22 Sep 2012 12:53:10 BDT
Melz says:
Hi I found your review really helpful, just need to be absolutely clear on network vs wireless for this printer (I am not brilliant tech-wise!)...
I have a wireless router at home- all I know this means is that I can connect to the internet without use of cables! What I want to clarify is will the printer have to be connected using a cable to the wireless router or my laptop itself? I also have an ipad- will I be able to print from that or will I have to get relevant cables to do so? Just not entirely clear of network vs wireless and you seem clued up on these things! Your help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2012 06:16:13 BDT
Hi Paul,
The printer's still fine, but I use it very little. I've only just needed to replace the original toner cartridge, & though I've bought one, I haven't inserted it yet. Absolutely no idea how many sheets it prints - sorry! Will update in due course.
Hi Melz,
You need a cable to connect it to the laptop. Don't know about iPad, I'm afraid - will be getting one soon & I'll be able to test it then.
All best,
SG

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2012 21:51:26 BDT
Many thanks for your reply S.Graham. Actually just got the printer today and it's working beautifully!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›