41 of 44 people found the following review helpful
Quality product with lots of improvements on the tried and trusted eTrex Legend,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Garmin eTrex 20 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This model is the replacement for the eTrex Legend. This model builds on a reliable and tested design while adding a number of useful improvements under the hood. The major improvement is that this model has lots more internal memory which means lots more space for saved tracks and waypoints. It also means there's enough space for maps in the internal memory - useful if you buy a map on memory card and want to add another map to the internal memory.
Other useful changes:
- track and waypoint names are no longer truncated;
- better rendering of Garmin maps;
- you can set the GPS to automatically archive your track at the end of each day;
- you can save maps to the SD card or the internal memory and have a number of map files with different names (previously there was only one map file and alternate maps had to be combined using MapInstall);
- the slot for the SD card has also been reengineered so the card is held more securely and won't get shaken loose.
You could splash out more for a unit with barometric altimeter, but this unit will tell you your altitude - and in my experience it is generally pretty accurate.
A note in reply to some of the other reviews: no it doesn't come with maps (OK it comes with the basemap but that doesn't count), and Amazon should have a caption that says this as the illustration is misleading. However, even if you also buy City Navigator Europe for 50 quid or so this unit is excellent value. You don't *have* to buy any maps - the Open Street Mapping is a pretty good substitute if you are on a tight budget. Personally I'd rather have the choice than be forced to buy bundled mapping that I don't need/want.