3.0 out of 5 stars No Little Earthquakes!, 18 May 2009
This review is from: Abnormally Attracted To Sin (Audio CD)
I would like to begin this review by saying that I once considered myself one of the biggest Tori Amos fans on the planet. However, I honestly feel she hasn't made a well rounded and completely good album since `From the Choirgirl Hotel' in 1998.

Most Tori fans would agree that her debut `Little Earthquakes' is probably her best album, quickly followed by `Under the Pink' and `Boys for Pele'. Those were albums where the piano, the lyrics, the melodies and the sublime voice all merged to create some of the most breathtaking music of our generation. They were also albums that were produced or co-produced with other people.

`Abnormally Attracted to Sin' does have it's moments but only about one third of the 18 tracks sound like classic Tori. The rest of the songs are fillers that could easily have been omitted from the final album. What's wrong with a 10 or 12 track album?

It is with a heavy heart that I must say that yet again Tori has delivered an album that is too long, too self indulgent and too inaccessible. Very much like her last four albums in fact. Each had some gold buried among a landslide of bad B-Sides.

Tori has self-produced her last few albums with her husband, Mark Hawley, manning the controls in their home studio in Cornwall. Therein lies the problem as if ever there was an artist who needs an editor then Tori is it. When I hear songs like `Maybe California', `500 Miles' and `Flavour' it reminds of how good Tori used to be. But when I hear most of the other tracks here they leave me completely cold.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 May 2009 16:07:28 BDT
Pete Doherty says:
"Boys For Pele" was produced by Tori, nobody co-produced it with her, and she has produced each of her albums ever since. I can't say I agree with the comment about her "bad" b-sides, "Operation Peter Pan" and "Miracle" are two brilliant b-sides. Tori has sad her albums are quite long these days because you don't get b-sides anymore because CD singles aren't getting released like they used to.

Posted on 18 May 2009 18:25:31 BDT
I similarly couldn't agree less. I've been a fan since I bought her EP Me And A Gun in '91 and I'm of the opinion that she has constantly evolved and improved as an artist ever since.
Little Earthquakes is without question one of her finest albums, but I can't subscribe to the opinion that her albums ever since have been getting progressively worse. If anything, I feel they have been getting better.
Scarlett's Walk, The Beekeeper and American Doll Posse contain some of the most complex and musically accomplished material of her entire career and I view each new release as an event to be cherished.
Tori Amos is a unique artist and one that should be celebrated against the overriding mass of manafactured, shallow pop stars who clog our airways with their shallow drones.
Can't wait to immerse myself in her most recent offering.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2009 01:21:10 BDT
Mark C. says:
I would rather have a short great album than a ho-hum long one
I regret her piano is being used less and less it seems at front center of a song-or else is buried in the mix
the Werlitzer and moogs are not her

Posted on 19 May 2009 19:22:01 BDT
G. Donaldson says:
I agree with some of this, especially that her albums have been WAY too long recently and that 10-12 tracks would be preferable. Having said that, I think Scarlet's Walk is probably her second best album (after her masterpiece Under the Pink) with Boys For Pele (also too long and - IMHO - had quite a few duff tracks) and From the Choirgirl Hotel are actually my two least favourites (excepting the Strange Little Girls covers album).

Still, although underwhelmed by the new album of early listens I'm not going to commit myself just yet as I found that it took some time before I could appreciate The Beekeeper and American Doll Posse...but now I really love them!

Posted on 21 May 2009 17:00:34 BDT
P. Smith says:
You've hit the nail on the head Blue Tree. Get this girl a producer quickly. I have daydreams about a Tori Amos album that isn't drowned in frankly dated sounding synth noises. Imagine if Tucker Martine or John Parish was at the helm, Bliss - (no pun intended).... Pete Doherty (ahem) is right though, Pele was a Tori produced effort and alongside Scarlet's walk it's her masterwork. I remember when i heard BFP for the first time. It was like a punch in the gut. Which makes it all the more frustrating. She is capable of producing her music in really interesting and innovative ways. But it hasn't happened here... Is there one song on AATS that could approximate a tenth of the complexity and beauty of "Hey Jupiter" or "Iiee"? I don't think so.

Posted on 22 May 2009 13:47:49 BDT
R. Pievaitis says:
what the hell ids wrong with you guys if tori kept putting out little earthquakes time after time you would all be saying she had got boring,so what does she do,she keeps progressing with each album and is to be applauded that she has not kept putting out the same songs time after time unlike Oasis do !
so she cannot win according any of you who keep refering to LE,so may i suggest you keep playing LE on repeat on your ipods or hifis and live in the past because tori has moved on and left all of you moaners well behind.
her last 4 albums have been at least,if not better ,than her 1st 3.maybe its you who have stopped listening.listen you cannot keep doing the same old songs with same old arrangements every time.if she did i,m sure you would all be placing your ever so concerned comments here as well saying how you so... wished tori would experiment.
c,est le vie eh !?!?!?!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2009 17:17:51 BDT
G. Donaldson says:
Each to their own of course but I do note a trend of fans (of any artist) loving to bring out words like "progressed", "experimental" and the like when in fact - for most anyway - the new stuff just isn't a patch on the old, (consistently at least).

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2009 15:11:34 BDT
J.F says:
i agree with richard...i dont understand all these people who want tori to put out a 'classic tori' album again....if you want classic tori, go and listen to her old albums then, i see that some of her recent albums have a hit and miss element as they are so long and b-sides that would have been on cd singles are now put on the album...but i think the fact that she doesnt stick to a formula and shows progression/growth as an artist is something to be admired, not something to whine about, if every song of hers (ten albums) was just her and a piano aka classic tori........i think she would have had quite a dull career, luckily she branched out and expierimented, all the more power to her!

Posted on 24 May 2009 16:19:43 BDT
More than any other artist I know, Tori allows herself to develop without looking back. She is not a commercial artist, who does what is expected of her, and should be cherished for that. Each new album Tori releases is written by a different Tori as she goes through her life and gains experiences. There's never going to be another Little Earthquakes because that Tori Amos has gone forever, to be informed by this one.

Posted on 27 May 2009 14:56:38 BDT
Adam K. says:
I think it's cool, from reading this, that you ask ten different Tori fans what the best album is and you get ten different answers. I loved LE -- got it days after it came out (on cassette!) played it to death. But I've liked each album (and that includes fan fave "Boys for Pele" less and less. I didn't even get "The Beekeeper", but someone sent me "American Doll Posse" and I absolutely loved it -- thought it was the album she should have made after LE. So, I'll probably get this one and prepare to be disappointed. Ah, what the hell....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (11 customer reviews)

Reviewer