3.0 out of 5 stars I Have To Say I feel A Little Disappointed., 25 Sep 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: F1 2011 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have been eagerly awaiting F1 2011 for a long time and unlike many people who reviewed F1 2010, I really enjoyed last years.

This reminds me of the problems I had with Formula 1 on my good old PS1 - F1 '97 wasn't graphically the best F1 game ever, but the feeling of speed, and the knowledge that you've put a great lap together were brilliant. With F1 '98 and '99 the graphics were better but so much of the fast gameplay was gone. I feel the same with F1 2011. I wished I hadn't used my online pass because I realised I would be playing the 2010 version, and now I will have to take a bit of a loss on this one when I sell it (which will be within 2 weeks - I'm giving 2 weeks to decide).

I enjoy the "yellow sheen" that Codemasters used for Dirt, F1 2010 and Grid. It was authentic. Infitinty Ward COD's use the same sepia-shading for added effect. F1 2011 is blindingly colourful, reminiscant of a Super Mario game. It all feels less realistic for me.

I immediately turned off the juvenile "3D racing line" - who thought of that?

I've been an F1 fan since I was 7 (34 years) and I'm definitely not a DRS fan as the overtakes are done with no defense but I don't think DRS translates well into the game either.

Overall I am completely disappointed with F1 2011. Maybe it's because last years game was new territory, being the first proper HD F1 game (excluding F1 Championship on the PS3). This game, for me, is too bright, too gimmicky.

I've played F1 2010 to death and after 3 days I can't see myself putting F1 2011 back into my 360. I downloaded Resident Evil 4 HD on Friday and I've played that for 5 hours, and played F1 for 2 hours. That tells me everything.

Rent the game first, and if you buy it, don't use your online pass until you have raced a few times.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Sep 2011 00:50:40 BDT
M. Hill says:
I like it when people give a mention to F1 97 in their review of these games. I waited throughout the PS2 era for an F1 game that could match it in terms of gameplay and handling but none arrived. I'm really hoping this generation of consoles can get it right.

Posted on 29 Sep 2011 14:43:46 BDT
Mindpower says:
I found the 2010 version appalling and have finally grown tired of Codemasters pretending to make a sim then do nothing of the sort. I won't even waste time trying this one!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2011 15:19:34 BDT
I spent months on F1 97! When a great qualifying lap feels so good, you don't even notice the glitchy graphics! I loved Murray Walker and Martin Brundle too!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2011 15:21:16 BDT
If you didn't like 2010 then swerve 2011 seriously!
I had high hopes after liking 2010 but I've given 2011 to my nephew. The online was never that good anyway, with too many people crashing you off the track all the time.

Posted on 6 Oct 2011 17:58:34 BDT
Pernickity says:
The 3d racing line will have you in a wall in any case if you rely on it. Either than or 2 seconds behind everyone else
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (94 customer reviews)

29.99 5.00