3.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Movie. Extremely Disappointing Bluray., 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: KURONEKO (Masters of Cinema) (BLU-RAY) (Blu-ray)
I have been waiting for this to come to Blu-ray in the UK for a couple of years now and when I heard MOC were going to release it I was very optimistic for a great release, as per usual with MOC.

My disappointment then is quite profound to find this is the poorest Blu-ray I have ever witnessed from the great Eureka MOC series.

The only extra is the theatrical trailer, unless you count the, as ever, very informative booklet.
Now, I can just about live with a dearth of extras when a film is just this beautiful, atmospheric and creepy but what really makes my head hurt is the picture quality. IT'S JUST UNACCEPTABLE!!! Criterion have only recently released an edition of this in the USA and it's stunning! This UK release looks barely better than my old DVD copy, in fact, it may be worse! Dark, darkly darkness is what we've been presented with here and detail is practically non existent when compared to the Criterion disk. It looks like NO RESTORATION has been done at all as the film is still dirty and still flickers. I cant think what has gone wrong over in the QA department at Eureka. Maybe they couldn't source a good enough negative or didn't have the funds to do a remaster but it's far below the quality of some of their great releases.

I really would suggest skipping this, frankly terrible, Blu-ray and instead would point you in the direction of the Criterion edition, which is unfortunately region locked to America. So a region free player would be required too. However, Criterion release SO MANY great editions of great films, a region free player is a virtually a no brainer these days.

So, apologies, but 3 stars it is. Blu-rays are capable of much, much more. And so are Eureka - Masters of Cinema.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Jun 2013 18:12:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jun 2013 18:16:13 BDT
tele1962 says:
The Criterion and MOC release are from different sources and so should be viewed as such, both being excellent and also a very extensive restoration was performed by MOC I believe, which one is more correct is immaterial as they both are. So people can buy with confidence they are getting an excellent transfer from Eureka equal to the Criterion release.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2013 18:21:13 BDT
Utter rubbish Im afraid. Of course they should be viewed seperately and the Eureka Blu is certainly NOT excellent. Its too dark, detail is lost, its flickery and theres numerous scratches and debris floating around. You 'believe' extensive restoration was done. I 'see' no actual evidence of this. NONE of these issues affects the Criterion release. You sir, are either a rabid fanboy defending, the usually brilliant, MOC or need your eyes tested. I will try to post comparative screenshots just to show the huge difference. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=26527&position=2 this is a screenshot from the Criterion Blu
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=70935&position=6 And this is the same shot from the Eureka MOC release.
The difference is quite remarkable and along with the lack of ANY significant extras is a complete deal breaker for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2013 12:00:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jun 2013 12:00:46 BDT
PoochJD says:
I haven't seen the MOC release yet, but even by the screenshots Hell-Oh-Kitteh posted, both the MOC and Criterion releases seem iffy in my view. The Criterion seems way too bright, to the point of bleaching detail, and the MOC print is way too dark, hiding almost all detail in the print. So, neither seems right, though if I had too, I would go for the Criterion release, because at least you can see the detail that clearly exists in the print. A shame that the MOC release isn't as good as they usually are.

Posted on 30 Jun 2013 21:41:16 BDT
Nonny says:
Hell, can you tell me if your copy has what looks like horizontal lines running across the picture? I was amazed by how poor this bd looks. I was expecting a picture as good as their release of 'Onibaba'. It is undoubtedly the worst looking bd I have seen. I can't believe the people at blu-ray.com saw the same disc as me...it looks bloody awful.
Before anyone asks, it is not my equipment at fault.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2013 21:43:50 BDT
Nonny says:
Have you actually seen the Eureka disc? How on earth can you describe the picture as 'excellent'?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2013 10:04:21 BDT
I didn't notice horizontal lines to be among the issues on the disk I had Im afraid. But I have a 42 inch TV so maybe horizontal banding isn't as noticeable on my screen. Sorry I cant confirm any further :/

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2013 10:26:02 BDT
As viewed on a 46" LCD screen, the purported "HD transfer" has
worse image resolution than the trailer of the film!
This disgrace is a breach of customer trust, on the part of the "Eureka"
label.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2013 08:33:36 BDT
yeah it's just such a shame because all the previous Eureka/MOC releases, which I've bought, have been 100% superb editions, for the most part equaling the Criterion editions in the U.S. and bettering anyone else.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (2 customer reviews)

19.99 18.25