5.0 out of 5 stars Compact Printer/Photcopier/Scanner - Ideal for Home Use!, 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: Brother DCP-J315W Wireless Colour Inkjet Multifunction Printer with Media Card Centre (Office Product)
I was initially looking at the Kodak printers which promise similar functions - but this one was actually smaller and cheaper.

First impressions are that this is amazingly compact and doesn't take up as much space on the desktop as most of the others I have looked at. It looks very neat and unobtrusive, but all the functions are there and easily accessible.

It was a fairly easy set-up - although it took a while to clean the printing heads. I was impressed with how easy it was to get the wireless operation sorted out and again this means that for a cramped home desktop, this is an ideal space-saver - no leads, so you can put it where you like.

[N.B. - look at the top of this page for a photo of this printer on my cramped desk at home! This is the image to the far right of all those available]

I'm not sure this would be solid enough for an office, where it would be "abused" and the photocopier lid feels a bit flimsy,especially at the hinges. But I think this is aimed squarely at the home user who wants to print out their photos and as I have said - this is great for anybody who doesn't have much space.

So it has all the features you could want as a home user. It prints from your PC, but also has slots that take memory cards - so you can just plug these in and don't need to turn your PC on. As far as I can see, it prints as well as any of this kind of device and then it also has a built-in photocopier and scanner - which is really useful to have in this kind of set-up.

Of course the big thing for all of these devices is ink costs - but there are several sources of replacement cartridges on Amazon, which look as reasonable as anything I have seen and it's very difficult to fault it on this score.

I like the LCD display which is easily readable and the menus are intuitive - no scrolling through loads of sub-levels - in fact this is a major upgrade from printers I have had before, which just had a few flashing indicators - you get all the info you need from this one!

I really can't fault any of this and it has all been very easy to use - so much so, that the manual hasn't been needed so far - although it has paper documentation and a CD with a full manual - plus a second CD with software and connection to Brother's website, which gives you free access to all sorts of useful templates.

I am amazed that you can get so much in such a small package and am very impressed- OK it's not a "professional" product that would stand up to being sat on in offices - but it looks great in a home setup and I would recommend it highly!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 May 2011 12:08:34 BDT
Why would you need to link to HP's website? Brother, surely? Unless this review has just been cut and pasted...

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2011 15:11:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 May 2011 15:18:32 BDT
Bruce says:
Thanks for pointing that out - just a typo - my previous printer was an HP - I shall edit the review. The review was not cut and pasted (don't know what you are implying?) - you can see my photo of the printer sitting on my desk at home if you look at the images with this item!

I have been using the printer for several months now and am very pleased with it! I have used it for photos - my father was very impressed with the quality of the pictures I printed out, of him standing in front of Brighton's new football stadium. I have also used it for printing out text and graphics for Mathematical projects. All in all I am still very pleased that I bought this!

Posted on 23 Feb 2012 19:07:41 GMT
KateP says:
I've not bought a brother printer before, but am tempted by this. I am no doubt being a bit daft here, but I can't see where the paper feed tray is? Cheers and thanks for any help.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2012 20:10:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Feb 2012 20:17:36 GMT
Bruce says:
The paper tray is in the middle at the front - very easy to use! Just under the slot where the paper comes out. It pulls out and you feed more in.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 13:49:00 GMT
KateP says:
Thank you very much.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 14:44:55 GMT
dollywood says:
HI!can it print on envelops, cardboard paper and cd`s?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 15:08:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2012 15:20:00 GMT
Bruce says:
Err ..sorry I've never tried this and I only use normal paper or photographic paper. This is quite a cheap printer and I know that in offices, I have seen professional printers costing thousands of pounds, jam up, when presented with cardboard.

(EDIT) - I just looked at the manual and it says you can print envelopes and postcards and has advice on that, as well as transparencies - but there is no mention of CDs and I would presume you need a specialist device for this.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 11:48:51 BDT
Bruce says:
As an update - you can now see on my review that this was an:
"Amazon Verified Purchase" - which means Amazon vouch for the fact that I bought this item from them.

Posted on 18 Jan 2013 22:02:24 GMT
maminet says:
Is it compatible with Windows 7?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2013 11:00:47 GMT