3.0 out of 5 stars Better by hand, 30 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Kenwood Stand Mixer KMC010 Chef Titanium, Silver (Kitchen & Home)
I purchased this item with great expectations that it would give at least the same results that those I have achieved in the past by hand. For more years than I care to say, I have baked using no more than a hand whisk , wooden spoon and elbow grease. I am fairly renowned for my cakes. Anyway, getting older I thought this machine would give my arm a rest. How wrong I was.

So far have used for cakes and bread. Making a decent sponge mixture is almost impossible. The ingredients climb up the side of the bowl and I found I have to lift the head every minute to scrape the bowl down. It doesn't mix adequately, leaving a separated mess in the bottom of the bowl. This was using the K beater to which half the mixture clings and takes ages to fully scrape down. I have never ever had a separated cake mix before in my life, but I did with this machine.

Dough, a slightly better experience, but how it is supposed to be kneaded I don't know, just seem to get a ball around the dough hook with a little clinging to the bottom. Is is kneaded? Results aren't marvellous, but it is handy for wetter doughs.

This is also an incredibly noisy machine that rattles and screams - the head jumping when mixing dough.

Have I got a faulty machine? Not impressed at all.

I have given 2 stars instead of 1 in the hope that I may find it does actually do something well.

--------------------
UPDATE

I sent back to Amazon who replaced it immediately - very helpful. New machine is very different - no rattles and so far works very well - have produced meringues and bread with no problems. Previous machine was obviously faulty.

I now look forward to many happy hours of baking.

Thanks Amazon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Nov 2012 09:30:36 GMT
A. Clark says:
That model not should be noisy, they are more quieter than kitchen aid, if you found your NEW machine noisy, send back or ask for replacement, remember READ the instrucction manual about level the high of tools... if for that reason you not experience a good dough or cake mixtures... the machine come with a special tool to level the whisk, K beater and Dough Hook from the Bowl.

Posted on 6 Nov 2012 13:01:16 GMT
R. Crabtree says:
Yeah, adjust the height of the whisk/beater with the spanner-type tool provided.

Should reduce the amount of "separated mess in the bottom of the bowl".

It will still happen to an extent, but should make a big difference.

Posted on 22 Jan 2013 12:06:41 GMT
Island Girl says:
Yes adjusting the height of the tools can make a difference, but I had a faulty Kenwood - the preceding model to this one, KM003 I think. Because I had never owned a stand mixer, I didn't realise it was faulty until I got a friend to view it. My beater (or whichever tool selected), was not held firmly when you attached it - this resulted in it being knocked aside by the mixture as opposed to pushing through it and mixing. I had had the mixer for almost a year (and hardly used it for actually mixing in that time due to poor results!), but Kenwood fixed it for me free of charge with no quibbles. That was over 10 years ago and it's still going strong - used 2 or 3 times a week.

I regularly make bread in mine and now knead it for about 10 mins rather than the 5 it says in the recipe book.

Posted on 5 Feb 2013 17:13:57 GMT
Carno Polo says:
You should edit the two star rating now I guess... and bump it up!

Posted on 16 Apr 2013 12:46:49 BDT
D. Evans says:
Is it still working ok? I agree with Marco, you should update the rating if this is the case!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2014 12:28:28 GMT
Traveldood says:
The old adage ..'it pays to complain' has a brother and that is 'give credit where it's due.' so, Island Girl change the star rating ASAP.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2014 18:25:57 GMT
Island Girl says:
Well I would except I am not the person who rated it?? :)

Mine was not this model, but I thought I would share my experience and let others know that 1) the tools may need adjusting and 2) the customer service I received was very good.

Posted on 3 Apr 2014 20:12:23 BDT
Jane H says:
Thank you for both your initial review and the integrity of an update about your successful replacement. Having just ordered this mixer today I was hugely relieved to read your happy ending. Here's to quiet perfectly beaten sponge cakes!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2014 20:35:04 BDT