2.0 out of 5 stars Could be better written and let down by sloppy transfer to Kindle., 10 Mar. 2011
This review is from: In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an AandE Doctor (Kindle Edition)
Very interesting material written by a clearly nice bloke and decent doctor who regrettably is not a gifted writer. I enjoyed this but only moderately. Another reviewer has observed that it reads like a blog I entirely agree, in fact I may have read that it started out as a blog.

I read this on my Kindle, let me say that I adore my Kindle and I have read many books on it already but I am very disappointed with the careless formatting and (absence of?) proofreading in a number of them, including this one. The writer often employs the modern punctuation convention of commas and/or dashes in lieu of commas or semi-colons, which is fine by me but is not fine when on the Kindle the spaces between the dash and the words are missing, so that at first glance you are confronted with a nonsensical compound word. There are a number of other typos and errors. I noticed similar errors in the kindle version of Bill Bryson's Notes on a Small Isalnd. This really is unforgivably sloppy as while the price of these digital books is significantly cheaper than the paper versions, the production and distribution costs are much, much cheaper than the paper equivalents. They need to stop being lazy cheapskates and invest in proper proofreading and revision of their ebook/Kindle editions. If I were an author I would be horrified to see my work mangled in this way.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jul 2011 00:07:01 BDT
I doubt that Zizzy, the author of this review, is a published author, but still the irony slaps me in the face when his/her own review is filled with poor writing, grammatical errors, missing commas, inconsistent capitalisation, misspelling/lack of proofreading, especially when his/her own review ends with the words "if I were an author I would be horrified to see my work mangled in this way".

It has been. You did it yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2011 01:14:49 BDT
Zizzy says:
I think you have missed the point. As you surmise, I am not a published author; my review was not proof read; and it was not published as a Kindle book with the expectation that people would pay to read it. Therefore my errors are mine alone and not unprofessional.
I am also totally incapable of welding a crack in my car's exhaust system but claim the right to criticise a professional mechanic who botches the job.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 21:27:40 BDT
T. Cordell says:
Here hear

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 21:31:32 BDT
point taken

and thanks for the pointers re bad grammer etc i couldnt be botehred to read a book badly writen

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2012 17:30:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jan 2012 17:33:04 GMT
Zizzy I just love your sharp and brilliant reply, no disrespect to Hambletta-Maud. I use to enjoy doing a few reviews but can make the odd spelling or punctuation mistake. I got so fed up with people jumping down my throat and making me feel stupid because I made an error that I gave up.The insults an arguments I took was unbelievable! But here you have the perfect reply. I am going to copy and paste your reply and use it everytime someone tries to put me down for my spelling errors. Thank you so much!

Posted on 10 Oct 2012 11:17:23 BDT
Doug Fleming says:
I agree with Zizzy about the careless transfer to Kindle. I read a book recently where the main character was called Rik - well for the first few chapters - after that he became Irk !! And yes, there are many other errors too. As for the book; I loved it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›