5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop- Does what it says on the Tin!!, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire E1 15.6-inch Laptop - Black/Silver (Intel Core i3 3110M 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-bit) (Personal Computers)
I was looking for a laptop for a while. I was looking for something rather specific, large screen, good design, high RAM, fast processor and Windows 8. I was actually quite lucky to purchase this on Black Friday deals. The price was also another factor. No doubt that Amazon once again beats everyone on price so I thought why not buy. I have never had an Acer laptop before so did not know what to expect. I was very surprised and impressed!

1. Delivery- I opted for 3-5 days delivery and considering its the run up to xmas I received my laptop within two days! Very impressed! It also allowed me to track my laptop each step of the way building the anticipation!!

2.Packaging- packaged very well. No signs of any damage to the box, infact the laptop itself was very secure and had good protection foam sleeve to prevent any kind of scratches etc. Another Plus point.

3. The laptop has a shiny surface with the logo imprinted on the center. It gave it a very glossy and smooth feeling.

4. Opening the laptop was very easy and smooth. The Laptop width was very thin in size. The Screen itself was perfect as would be great for viewing documents, editing pictures, watching movies, etc.

5. The power button was easy to find. The letters are joined together which is bonus for me as I find it makes it much easier to type.

6. Hand rest on the laptop mimics the shell of the laptop and in contrast the mouse pad is a matt finish also very smooth. It also has a scroll key, allowing you to easily navigate up and down the page.

7. The numeric pad is separate to the letters which makes it easier if your entering numbers (I much prefer this option as appose to the laptops where numbers and letters are used to together)

8.Finally the battery- so far it's given me an excellent life. I charged it fully on the first go and I am still running of the first charge.

Once you attach the battery to the laptop you can feel its weight. I am not too worried about it as I wanted a laptop to be a "home" laptop - not to use while traveling. Also the slight heaviness gives it a better stronger feel.

The laptop came with a quick Windows8 Leaflet - which without it I would not know what to do! The laptop booted up quickly and walked me through the set up process. I must say being a windows user for most my life I found it very hard to adapt to the new windows 8.

The windows8 user interface can be easily used for those items which are touch screen- like Mobiles, Tablets, Desktops, and laptops. However this laptop is not touch screen. I was able to utube some video's on how to work with windows 8 - which helped me a lot!

The new windows 8 gives you two desktop options. Yes I did say two!! The first being a scroll windows, which navigates from left to right. You decided what Apps you want. Where you want them on your screen, whether you like it big or small, want live news feed or not etc. Windows 8 comes preset with apps you can use and download new ones from their App Store. I was quick to personalise my laptop the way I wanted. Not only will you have two desktops however you can have two logins!! You can log in through your live or Hotmail account. You will find your Apps are more personalised to your inbox. you can see your email contacts, your emails, your weather, news which is catered to you etc. I wasn't too fond with this as my emails already gets streamed to my iPhone and wasn't prepared to see my emails again every time I log on to my computer. I wanted my laptop to still have some of the old school qualities so I opted for the local log in. However I can understand the reason for it so you can log into any windows 8 and feel like it's your computer with your apps personlise to yourself. Once you've personalised your new windows8 desktop you ready to go.

If you are not feeling the new windows8 desktop version you can flip back to classic view (desktop) which will bring you back to a screen you are more familiar with- here's the down side- no start button, no apps. You will find there is a huge difference having no start button as it does throw you off track but I can assure you once you've mastered the windows8 you will not want to go back to the classic view.

So far I was able to download software on it- hassle free!

Use and edit heavy RAW pics with no hassle again - infact it was very fast.

The webcam did work for me- again no hassle either!

Screen is an excellent size- watched a movie on it and played the inbuilt games it comes with. The laptop did not hang up at all was very fast very quick and was able to cope perfectly with several packages running at once.

Slight disadvantages- your finger prints will always be on the shell of the laptop- make sure if you have a cloth nearby to wipe them off ( I dislike seeking fingertip traces.) Windows8- is a world on its own, but once you learn how to use the new system you will love it! There is so much you can do with it. No Bluetooth- but apart from that there's not much I can say bad about it if even I wanted to. Also forgot to mention the "x" button is no longer used in apps to close. You have to get familiar with shortcuts such as Alt + F4 to close your apps.

Overall- great laptop, great feel, does not look cheap or plastic, performs very well for webcam, sound, mic, running apps, editing pics, installing apps, great LED Screen, great replacement for desktops, enough storage, connects well to the internet, good OS once you overcome the windows 8 barrier, great connectivity to USB HDMI output etc. I was very pleased, its exactly what I wanted if not more, hence why it gets top marks you will not be disappointed!!

[Add comment]