166 of 173 people found the following review helpful
Simple and brilliant wifi extention via power line,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender (Accessory)
I live in a large and rather long flat with a lot of concrete in it. My Virgin-media connection is at one end any my bedroom is at the other. The Virgin supplied wifi router is not powerful enough to reliably reach from one end to the other and it is far to complicated to move it or to run a network cable.
I already use a TP powerline extender for my printer and TV so i decided to risk trying the TP Link powerline Wifi access point. I am not sure why I waited so long to try this device... it is really so simple, even with the very poor wiring in my flat.
1) I took it out of the packet
2) plugged it into the wall in my bedroom
3) press the config button on my exiting access point. (the one connected to the router)
4) walk to my bedroom and press the config button on the wifi access point.
5) wait 10 seconds.... connection made. You now have a LAN connection. (I did not check but i think the wifi was working at this point, but i wanted a secured connection)
6) plug in cable to laptop.
7) type the ip address into internet explorer
8) use the id and password from the instructions
9) put in the name you want to call the wifi access point i.e. "bedroom" and the password. Save.
10) pull out the net work cable.... and there you have it.
3 minutes from start to end. The enclosed one page instructions tells you in pictures how to do it all.... really it could not be simpler.
I should add here that if you know what you are doing there are several nice options on the device. You can choose the operating band (i wanted N as it does not get the interference from the neighbors that the other bands do) and also the power output (Low,med,high). This is great if you only want the signal in a small area to not interfere with the rest of your flats connection.
I cannot say how impressed I have been with the simplicity and reliability of the TP Link equipment that I have purchased. I run my Blueray player, TV, PC and Printer on TP-Link powerline extenders and it really has been an install and forget piece of hardware. If it lasts 4-5 years until the next round of technology I will be a very happy customer. I feel the price for what I have got is really good. So much simpler than trying to install a wired net work or worse trying to move my Virgin Cable connection.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Posted on 30 Jan 2014 22:34:42 GMT
B. A. LANES says:
Great instructions. Struggled with the ones in the box but these were brilliant. Thanks