5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and brilliant wifi extention via power line, 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender (Accessory)
I live in a large and rather long flat with a lot of concrete in it. My Virgin-media connection is at one end any my bedroom is at the other. The Virgin supplied wifi router is not powerful enough to reliably reach from one end to the other and it is far to complicated to move it or to run a network cable.

I already use a TP powerline extender for my printer and TV so i decided to risk trying the TP Link powerline Wifi access point. I am not sure why I waited so long to try this device... it is really so simple, even with the very poor wiring in my flat.
Steps:

1) I took it out of the packet
2) plugged it into the wall in my bedroom
3) press the config button on my exiting access point. (the one connected to the router)
4) walk to my bedroom and press the config button on the wifi access point.
5) wait 10 seconds.... connection made. You now have a LAN connection. (I did not check but i think the wifi was working at this point, but i wanted a secured connection)
6) plug in cable to laptop.
7) type the ip address into internet explorer
8) use the id and password from the instructions
9) put in the name you want to call the wifi access point i.e. "bedroom" and the password. Save.
10) pull out the net work cable.... and there you have it.

3 minutes from start to end. The enclosed one page instructions tells you in pictures how to do it all.... really it could not be simpler.

I should add here that if you know what you are doing there are several nice options on the device. You can choose the operating band (i wanted N as it does not get the interference from the neighbors that the other bands do) and also the power output (Low,med,high). This is great if you only want the signal in a small area to not interfere with the rest of your flats connection.

I cannot say how impressed I have been with the simplicity and reliability of the TP Link equipment that I have purchased. I run my Blueray player, TV, PC and Printer on TP-Link powerline extenders and it really has been an install and forget piece of hardware. If it lasts 4-5 years until the next round of technology I will be a very happy customer. I feel the price for what I have got is really good. So much simpler than trying to install a wired net work or worse trying to move my Virgin Cable connection.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Apr 2012 08:57:53 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 13:45:27 BDT
superman says:
For any products, you can change easily from wherever you buy from or contact them directly with the phone number shown on its website.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 20:05:21 GMT
condor says:
Very simply explained has made it easier to make a decision. Thank you

Posted on 20 Jan 2013 12:51:32 GMT
Wetterwachs says:
That's exactly my experience only that I decided for installation with professional support.
I use my TP Link for my printer from 3 or more computers on two floors.

Posted on 31 Jan 2013 19:15:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jan 2013 19:18:06 GMT
Big Red says:
I live in an old house (circa 1850) and the wiring isn't original, but it is rather old, so the reliability of just powerline isn't quite up to the standards of places with more modern wiring. However, powerline, plus wifi might just be good enough. I have been considering using the T-P Link powerline wifi extender for some time and now, having found this review, I think my mind is made up. As you say it's better than hard-wire, or moving the Virgin modem. Thanks for the guidance.

Posted on 26 Nov 2013 13:48:05 GMT
Hi David, does this use the homeplug connection (ie from the hardwired plug) for the wifi or does it just connect wifi to wifi (wifi extending), as I bought this TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration) and it doesn't really make it much better as if I put it over 5m away from the router it looses signal and is no better.

Posted on 26 Nov 2013 13:48:27 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2013 13:11:29 GMT
Kerry White says:
Hi James, this does use the homeplug connection as opposed to the one you have already brought which is a wifi to wifi extender.

Posted on 30 Nov 2013 12:55:01 GMT
Gary says:
Good write-up on how to use, but mine defaulted to having no security, so as easy as it is to just follow these instructions, I'd also turn on a security option with a password to connect, to stop other people nearby leeching off your internet connection or accessing your computers (the password in step 8 is to connect to the adapter over ethernet to configure it, not to just use it as an access point).

Posted on 11 Jan 2014 18:33:33 GMT
jobvictor1 says:
Very well explained I am now thinking of getting one
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (342 customer reviews)

£41.50 £32.71