3.0 out of 5 stars not up to the same standard as the others in the series, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: 200 Tagines & Moroccan Dishes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hamlyn have produced these full colour cookbooks for decades - I have one that was my mothers which is about 4 times the size of this little book. This book is small 14 cm (15.5 inches) wide by 17 cm (6.5 inches) high by 1.5 cm (0.5 inch) deep. It has 240 pages, BUT only pages 16 to 233 are recipe related.

The book is divided into 9 chapters:

~ kernia and small first courses;
~ soups;
~ tagines;
~ fish;
~ kebabs and accompaniments;
~ vegetables;
~ couscous;
~ patillas;
~ deserts and sweet things.

We eat with our eyes (especially when we have no other stimuli) and this book takes that into account with stunningly mouth-watering images of each and every dish.

Every recipe has a page to itself and the facing page for a colour photo, so this definitely does not add up to 200 recipes - it is somewhere around 109 recipes. They get away with it because they include alternative ingredients in the count.

I've only been able to try a few of these recipes, but I have already discovered a few to add to the list of family favourites, however there are so many more that just aren't up to the Hamlyn standard that I have come to expect.

Our favourites including:

* gazelle horns - sweet filled pastries;
* chicken skewers with couscous.

As always, with any recipe book, there are recipes that I like and those I can't stomach.

I have a number of issues with the book:

- it is one of the poorest books in the series. The recipes are nothing special and some of them turn out unpleasant. We have the most wonderful Moroccan restaurant nearby and the dishes served there are spectacular - ranging from barely spiced to hot, hot, hot - and they are always tasty. After trying a few recipes in this book I took it in to show them and ask where I was going wrong, they couldn't believe how bad the recipes were within this tiny tome, and (thankfully) gave me a couple of nice lamb and chicken recipes which are so nice.

- the preparation and cooking times (especially with meats) are the minimum that it will probably take you; and

- because it is such a small compact book the only ways to keep it open are to either try and weigh the pages down or break the spine (and you should never break the spine of a book).

In the books favour (other than the recipes) is the fact that no author is telling us their life story or how they enjoyed their trip to wherever. I don't have a problem with people having a nice holiday or giving their life story an airing but, personally, really I don't want to have to wade through pages of memoirs to find a recipe.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]