5.0 out of 5 stars Not Socom as we know it, but very good fun., 24 April 2011
This review is from: SOCOM: Special Forces - Move Compatible (PS3) (Video Game)
First of all, let me make things clear; I am and always have been a Socom fanboy. I love the series and have been playing it since Socom 1 came out a million years ago. Obviously it is the online play side of things which makes the Socom genre so great for me, as I've made good friends through playing Socom (playing Socom way too much, you might say!) But please do not let this preconceived notion bias this review in any way, because this game is not Socom. This is not the Socom 1, 2 or Confrontation (Socom 3's vehicles just put me off, that game was quite poor) but yes, this is does not feel like part of that series. And why is this? Well, I've been playing it with the new Sony Move controllers; which is great fun indeed. I feel like I should be disappointed that this game does not feel like Socom when you play it, but do you know what? I am not disappointed whatsoever. This review is from the offline-only experience as the PSN is down due to some kind of security issue at the moment. When I get to try the online game, I'll update the review.

It's been 8 years since Zipper released the original Socom games, and this is the first game where you feel like the engine has changed and everything has improved so dramatically. Physics, graphics, game play, you name it - this game has been improved in every way.

It's quite funny, if you like shooting games you may have tried MAG - Massive Action Game. MAG (PS3) I thoroughly enjoyed that game because it felt like an evolved version of the original PS2 Socom games. Socom 4, or Socom: Special Forces as it's correct title states, feels like a fully evolved version of the Socom franchise.

Using the Move controllers is new to me; along with Killzone 3 which I haven't played much, this is the first game I have properly used the Move controllers rather than the archaic (yes, they feel archaic now) DualShock 3 controllers. There's something about the way the controllers are so comfortable to use and hold; it makes the interface between human and Playstation seem very natural indeed. For that reason, I would thoroughly recommend that you purchase a set of Move controllers to try this out for yourself.

I found the game easy to control, but hard to get good at. Comparing the way in which the characters move and interact, this game is leaps and bounds ahead of Killzone 3. I've played the game and completed the Story mode on the third level (the fourth difficulty being the hardest) and it was challenging the whole way through. I must say, it did feel very complex and exciting; the AI changed during the games and you really get a sense the computer-controlled enemies knew what they were doing when it came to thowing grenades, laying down covering fire and generally causing as much grief as possible. It was a really good moment everytime I saw the "checkpoint reached" message flash up on screen, honestly.

With regards to value-for-money, the story mode did seem fairly short-ish. 14 big missions, which go from easy to hard in terms of difficulty, did fly through fairly quickly. There is a process to go through to upgrade the weapons you have as a player, but it isn't really explained in the game. I haven't really got round to looking at it properly but from what I can see, you earn attachments for your guns by using them; if you don't pick up and use an enemy's gun in the game, you can't select it to start with in the mission.

Online play seems to be fairly similar to MAG; you kill enemies and carry out objectives to earn XP, which in turn earns you weapons or upgrades. I believe that's how it all works, but we'll all know more when the PSN comes back online.

In summation, I would recommend this game as a really fun, tactical shooter which will bring you plenty of hours of play. If you fancy playing a good online shooting game, I am sure Socom: Special Forces will not disappoint.

Let me know if you want to know more or have any specific questions!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Apr 2011 17:04:19 BDT
L. Pitt says:
Hi, you sound like a person who knows their stuff unlike myself.
I can read hundreds of reviews and not really know what they mean. I'm looking at purchasing this as a gift for my brother. Now i don't know of SOCOM or free move or beta? All i need to know is would you say this is a good game for someone who like COD and MOH games? Are the graphics good and will this engage him like Medal of honor and Call? thanks so much. x

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2011 17:15:26 BDT
G. Smith says:
Yes I definitely think this would be interesting. It's a good shooting game and as it is third-person rather than the first person of COD, it makes a nice complement. I think your brother will enjoy it a lot. It is an interesting game to play and much more challenging than COD Black Ops' story mode (I've completed both.)

I would say go for it, if he doesn't enjoy it then that's a shame, but it has many strings to it's bows and it does have lots of interesting features which should keep the majority of gamers interested for a long period of time.

With regards to Move, this is the motion controllers you can get for the Playstation Eye and they are really quite good fun to use. PlayStation Move Starter Pack with PlayStation Eye Camera, Move Controller and Starter Disc (PS3) and PlayStation Move Navigation Controller (PS3)

I hope this helps somewhat :) Graham

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 02:13:43 BDT
Alex R. says:
If you're brother enjoys MOH and COD, I'd suggest Killzone 3 or Crysis 2, both are fantastic games - although the best aspect of Killzone is it's multiplayer whilst Crysis has the superior single player. Also, if you want an engaging game that's tactical and a shooter, go for Metal Gear Solid 4. No PS3 gamer can miss out on that.

Posted on 11 May 2011 14:46:32 BDT
how did you get on with the trophies and the fruit budi

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 02:19:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2011 22:42:15 BDT
Timothy says:
I wouldn't recommend it the gameplay is boring it was built areund the sharpshooter so it doesn't have the same shooting characteristics. the character controls feel heavy and sluggish, the story mode is linear and stupid not to mention bland. The cover system has turned it into a less strategic game than any other generic shooter. Its like COD but no where near as good. At the price they're asking might aswell get somthing more entertaining.
you actually call yourslf a fanboy? lol
is this review serious? you played the older socom games as well as mag and you like this game?! do you have a beard and breasts too cos i've never met a freak like this before. you know i actually threw up a bit in my mouth reading your review.
I think you are a zippersonybot sent from the future where all games are exactly the same to destroy rational thought. you counterpoint every single thing that people are complaining about to the point it is even hard to believe you are talking about socom4 "special" forces. the game is dumb.its totally linear. its uninspiring bland and way too easy. You never played the older socom games else you would have found it easy. the older games were challenging if you got shot you died. in this game you can take as many bullets and frags as you like because you have health regen. i mean whats the point. It's like playng naughts and crosses with yourself. It is sure to dissapoint. look up the word evolution there are no advancements in this game apart from the graphics but they're not as good as crash bandicoot and i think crash bandicoot is less linear.lol there were more features in the ps2 releases than this frankensten's monter of a game. It may well be a "whole new expurience" but i'd rather have relations with a porcupine than play this pile of steaming flaming stinking ball swamp surrounded by noisey kids with smelly nappies.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›