2.0 out of 5 stars Building on the worst aspects of their previous record, 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Holy Fire (Audio CD)
I adored Antidotes and loved Total Life Forever, but the only times TLF didn't strike a chord with me was when the tracks were on the wrong side of ordinary. Call them what you like, but Foals were never ordinary. But the rare uninspired moment on TLF was far outweighed by the shimmering and heart-stopping ones around them.

Sadly, Holy Fire sees Foals lose their mojo as far as I'm concerned. Yet, it is not without merit.

It starts well enough with Prelude and Inhaler, but the biggest red flag imaginable then raises itself in the shape of the horrifically bad My Number. A lightweight pop/funk ditty with no emotion, soul, punch or thrust. It's candy floss for the ears and by far the worst song they've ever written. Bad Habit is not much better, being an instantly forgettable MOR pop-indie-rock-by-numbers filler.

Everytime is marginally better and has a decent hook, but it all still sounds rather uninspired. Thankfully, Late Night provides some redemption. A slow-burn, slow-build track full of tension and soul, this is what I paid my money for. Next track Out of the Woods is sadly a damp squib of a track. The band don't sound like they're particularly interested by this point, which begs the question: why should we be?

Milk & Black Spiders is thankfully much more interesting and engaging, and the clattering Providence piques the interest albeit in rather directionless fashion. Stepson is a real beauty of a tune but then the album closer Moon brings a downbeat and dour ending to proceedings.

Overall, Foals always engaged me because they sounded like nobody else and their music was so damn powerful. For me, on Holy Fire, they've lost that power to inspire me and now sound like a middling indie band trying to sound like Foals. Either they're trying too hard or not hard enough, I can't quite decide.

I wanted to love this album. It has the odd great moment, but nowhere near enough. Parts of it may yet grow on me, yet after quite a few listens I can see this as a record that doesn't get many airings in the future, I'm very sad to say.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Feb 2013 19:37:14 GMT
Couldn't agree more. A sadly mediocre LP - precision-engineered bloke indie to soundtrack Match of The Day montages with the most dire 'everyman' lyrical content. After the interesting progression with TLF, I never thought Foals would sound so tired and derivative.

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 15:19:46 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Feb 2013 21:19:45 GMT]

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 17:16:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2013 17:17:22 GMT
BerkSonics says:
Well, of course I was listening to Holy Fire. I have listened to it on repeat. I was so excited about the album after loving everything the band have done before now. Sadly, it isn't doing it for me and I just find many of the tracks lazy and middle-of-the-road. They just don't make me sit up and go "wow" as they used to.

It is just my opinion. You know, I still find it mystifying how people like you exist in the real world, as you seem unable to grasp the fact that not everybody will agree with you all the time and get upset when somebody puts forward a conflicting opinion to yours. But that's the beauty of opinions; everyone's got one and they won't always be the same. Respect mine, as I do yours. It is an informed opinion because I am a big fan of the band, and I always try to be balanced.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 17:29:43 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Feb 2013 21:19:54 GMT]

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 19:42:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2013 19:44:45 GMT
BerkSonics says:
You misunderstood. I wasn't saying I can't believe you exist because you disagree with me. I'm saying I can't believe how you manage to get by out in the real world without being constantly offended, as people must present different opinions to yours all the time. That was a reaction to your affronted reaction to my own opinion, to which I am perfectly entitled and free to express.

I do rather tire of this tit-for-tat on Amazon, whereby anyone who dares to go against the grain is marked as "unhelpful" and then critiqued by the positive reviewers. My review was not exactly scathing or unbalanced. I posted it in good faith. It was informed, I like Foals a lot, I had listened to the album a LOT and was just disappointed. I'm sorry you don't like that, but it's not really my problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 20:02:44 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Feb 2013 21:16:37 GMT]

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 20:10:02 GMT
BerkSonics says:
Look, you took offence to my very innocuous review. I couldn't understand why; I still don't. It's just an opinion after all. Don't lose any sleep over it.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 20:22:25 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Feb 2013 21:20:05 GMT]

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 20:36:05 GMT
BerkSonics says:
Wow. What on earth are you on about? All I was saying was that you shouldn't take offence when someone else has a different opinion to you, that's all. But you're clearly a sensitive type, so I apologise if I've offended you.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 20:48:30 GMT