1.0 out of 5 stars The worst 'romance' ever!, 15 Oct. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Wolf and the Dove (Troubadour Books) (Paperback)
This is not a romance novel. Why do I know this? The 'hero' of the tale is a brutal, misogynistic savage who shows no respect for the heroine or for women, nay people, in general. How can this character - who cares what he looks like - be the least bit attractive to any woman? I lost the tiny glimmer of respect and pity I held for the heroine after she was raped, when the next day she is so attracted to her new master she just can't help kissing him back. In WHAT way is this supposed to contain a scrap of reality? Yes, it is not set today but people were still people back then and I find it highly unlikely that a woman who has just suffered what the heroine suffers (namely the total and complete destruction of her pride and home, plus the murder of her father and humiliation of her mother) would be able to dredge up even a spark of lust.
As I was unable to finish the book, having suffered enough, I don't know how it ended, but after the beginning it had I can see no way in which the 'hero' might redeem himself. I've read and enjoyed books where the hero is bad or even cruel to an extent, but this was over the top and into the realm of horrific. A man who sits by and allows a very, very young teenager (a minor character) to be gang-raped is not fit to be the hero in any romance. I couldn't believe it when I discovered that this is actually a favourite of some romance readers. I'll be selling this or giving it to charity as soon as I can and I would recommend no one who is not of a masochist mentality buy it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jan 2008 19:46:02 GMT
Mel says:
Its sad you didn't finish it, like most mean heros he makes an effort to redeem himself. And he does a complete 180 and saves her from a guy who manages to be worse. I agree with you that the main character was weak and she's not my favorite, but this was my first ever romance novel so I have a soft spot for it.

I don't know if you've read it, but you would probably like Outlander by Diana Gabaldon better. Claire doesn't roll over for anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2009 00:41:52 BDT
I read the Outlander just after it came out and every Gabaldon book since, and I love them all. As I said in my review, I don't think that the hero was redeemable no matter what he did thereafter.

Posted on 10 May 2010 21:17:22 BDT
A very helpful review for me. I couldn't bare a book with a rape in it, no matter how great is went on to be, or not be. Also, I loathe git-heroes [Georgette Heyer's Devils' Cub may ring a few bells for some]. Yuk, yuk, yuk. Thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts.
My best wishes, JESS

Posted on 7 Jul 2010 19:48:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jul 2010 20:10:06 BDT
nefertiti07 says:
A Customer says: 'I lost the tiny glimmer of respect and pity I held for the heroine after she was raped, when the next day she is so attracted to her new master she just can't help kissing him back'

Well, just to clarify - the man who rapes the heroine is NOT the hero for whom she falls the next day.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2010 20:57:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Aug 2010 20:59:01 BDT
I didn't say it was. The fact that she was raped the day before by anyone and then responds in a sexual way to one of her captors is totally unbelievable and a bit sick.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2011 16:07:59 BDT
Kristin says:
If you had read the rest of the book, it emerged that she only 'thought' she had been raped, but, from your other remarks, you are better off not knowing why we, who love this book, feel the way we do and measure 'All Historicals' by this one, and usually find them wanting!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2011 16:53:59 BDT
I think perhaps a lot of the people who think it's possible to 'think' you'd been raped and then feel sexually attracted to anyone, even Johnny Depp, being a possibility even weeks after let alone days, perhaps hasn't experienced something that awful first hand, or cannot imagine what it's like to do so. If they have, then well, all I can say is they're very different people to me.
I'm glad someone mentioned this, as I too, although not completely adverse to books with rape in, could not stomach this particular scenario. Not my idea of romance...!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 20:09:41 GMT
What difference does it make that she only 'thought' she had been raped? Perhaps you're right and I'm 'better off not knowing' the psychology behind why you love this book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›